Menu

Homemade tomato sauce

I have been wanting to make the switch to all natural cooking (nothing canned, preprepared, homemade everything) and in my attempt to make tomato sauce, found that my diced tomatoes never turned to sauce. The water slowly cooked off and I was left with sauteed, somewhat mushy, tomatoes. I deseeded and skinned them, and did my best to follow a basic recipe, but somehow it didn't work.

Anyone thoughts as to where I went wrong? Any homemade tomato sauce recipes you want to share? Mine consisted of skinned, deseeded chopped tomatoes on a vine and some seasonings. :glare: It didn't work so well.

I have been wanting to make the switch to all natural cooking (nothing canned, preprepared, homemade everything) and in my attempt to make tomato sauce, found that my diced tomatoes never turned to sauce. The water slowly cooked off and I was left with sauteed, somewhat mushy, tomatoes. I deseeded and skinned them, and did my best to follow a basic recipe, but somehow it didn't work.

Anyone thoughts as to where I went wrong? Any homemade tomato sauce recipes you want to share? Mine consisted of skinned, deseeded chopped tomatoes on a vine and some seasonings. :glare: It didn't work so well.

Here's what I do:

1. Don't skin or deseed. Just wash and quarter tomatoes, cut out any bad spots, put them in a pot (no added water). Boil for 20 mins or so.

2. Run through a food mill to remove the skins and seeds.

3. Put the liquid you are left with back on the stove. Boil until it is as thick as you want. Seriously, I think I boiled mine for 3 hours the other day (but I had a LOT of tomatoes!). Season as you desire.

4. Then you can use it, freeze it, or can it.

I don't have a food mill. I have a food processor and a blender. COuld I use one of these and then put the mixture through a fine sieve?

Well I've never tried it that way. I wonder if the blender would just blend the tomato skins into the sauce as well. :confused: Sorry, I really can't answer your question. I bet if you google tomato sauce you'll find some advice.