Menu

Balancing the Sword vs. Bible Study Guide for all Ages

buttercup

We used Bible Study Guide FAA.

I liked it for all of us because we were studying and discussing the same thing. Now that we aren't using it anymore, we're all over in personal devotions. So I should say it also did a good job of directing us through scripture. My younger dd - 3rd gr, loved the workbook. Older dd 6th gr could take it or leave it though I thought it did a good job of cementing facts.

We didn't do map stuff or any memorization like they suggested because we were working on our own memory verses.

My dh could do "bible time" with us and still be at work on time so he loved it too.

I miss using it actually now that I type all this. We're using SL and I'm doing a precept study so they're still getting it, we're just not doing it together.

We've used both in our house but each for a very different purpose.

I have personally used BtS for my own study and fully intend to let each child work through this set when they reach a more mature place (upper middle school/high school?). For me this is a very Spirit led study and would seem best suited per individual rather than family study. Right now our children need the family study time.

BSGFAA has been perfect for our family study. All of us have learned & retained so much from this guide. We are partially through Unit 3 but have been using this study for 4 years. Our plan is to complete all four units and repeat again in the future but on a different level, of course, as the kids (& myself!) mature. This guide has provided us much more than a memorization of facts, it has been the springboard for hours of discussion. The kids do & enjoy the workbooks but I'm thinking those may be dropped when we repeat the series allowing more focus on some of the other parts to the study.

Of all the studies I have previewed the two you are considering are the two we've kept & used. I do have some precept study guides also that I have dabbled in & intend to have the children learn at some point as it seems a very practical tool for bible study.

So, that's how it is in this house! We love them both!

Thanks ladies! Actually I was thinking that BSGFAA would be better for my dc as well. I really like the samples I saw of it. I did not want to have to buy the student pages. Could it be used without them?

I used all the guides before they even came out with the student pages. I loved it. My kids enjoyed it and learned lots, although I think that those kids that need something to do to keep busy while they listen would enjoy the sp's.

Thanks ladies! Actually I was thinking that BSGFAA would be better for my dc as well. I really like the samples I saw of it. I did not want to have to buy the student pages. Could it be used without them?

We don't use the activity pages either.

Heather