Menu

How much time does the TOG component of your day take?

I know that TOG doesn't cover some subjects (math, phonics, etc.)

so my question is how much time on average does it take you to complete what TOG DOES cover each day? Now I know that you can (attempt to do) ALL or some of the TOG plan......but ON AVERAGE and FOR THE MOST OF YOU, how much time? Please list kid's age/grade in your reply.

THANKS!

about an hour to an hour and a half a day at the Upper Grammar level. I'm expecting more this year with D level. The more activities you do, the longer it can take. It's fun to spend 2 or 3 hours on Thursdays and Fridays just doing group projects or activities for hands-on learning.

I have two LG, one UG, and one D. We spend anywhere from one to one and a half hours.

This is our first year to use it. I love it but I'm kind of overwhelmed! Right now we are focusing on doing reading assignments, maps, student pages, discussion (on Thursday), and a timeline.

I'm trying to add in the writing assignments and the People of the Ancient World book.

We were doing the vocabulary but it was taking SO MUCH TIME for them to look up the words. I felt like we were spending time doing that when we could be using it for other, more important things.

We've only just finished our 4th week of Year 3 Dialectic (6th graders). We read and do assignments 4 days a week and on Fridays, we have discussions and tests and a field trip.

I allot 1.5 hours a day for independent reading and working on the questions and worksheets. This time includes a few extra reading assignments each week. We've only had one week that it took that much time to read (the 1st week). Most of the others, the kids were done in 30 minutes a day and an occasional hour session. It looks like it will vary each week.

I allot 30 minutes to read aloud. I read aloud the recommended book and usually something else like MCT, our science read aloud, etc.

I allot 30 minutes to work on TOG assignments: Usually mapwork and state cards one day, president cards and timeline/vocabulary one day, and two days to work on other TOG projects.

I allot 30 minutes for writing.

Discussion and test takes about 1 hour max.

Edited by AuntPol

This is our second year with TOG; I have one at Dialectic and one at UG. We just finished our second week, and I will confess to feeling pressed for time. Looking forward to seeing the other schedules.

45 minutes read aloud daily (I read SOTW, Famous Men, and Trial and Triumph)

45-1 hour daily history and literature readings with analysis sheets (I also use the exams as history worksheets) at D and 20-30 min for UG.

30 minutes daily for history related writing.

60-90 minutes craft/weekly

30-45 minutes geography weekly

2 hour co-op for dialectic discussion and presentations weekly

I'm not doing vocabulary, timeline work, Church History (except as read aloud).

Edited by bookfiend