Menu

I'm thinking of purchasing MCT

micheller1

Grammar Town, Grammar Island and the corresponding Teacher Manuals and Student Workbooks and Teacher Manuals. Is all of it necessary?

I read that Teacher Manuals actually come with the student book included?

I'm currently using Growing with Grammar and honestly it's drudgery for my son. My girls couldn't care less. One of my daughters likes it well enough. My other daughter seems to be going through the motions but when we review, I see that she's doing just that. There's no real retention going on there.

There are so many wonderful posts and comments made about this program and I really love that it seems to be carry on through the older years. I also like that I could use one book for two of my kids - in essence, teaching them together. The day is so hectic as it is. I'm still trying to work out a decent schedule for us all.

Anyway, the point of this ramble is - is purchasing all of this necessary? It's about $150.00 worth of stuff, which I'll buy if it's all necessary but if it's not, that would be awesome!

I seem to be dropping curriculum and purchasing new since we started. Nothing I thought was going to work is!! Everyday I end the day feeling unsure about what we accomplished:confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I just received the Basic Island Level in the mail (bought it in excellent used condition off the FSOT board here). You definitely don't need the student book. The teacher notes are very small. I actually don't think my guy is going to need this for the next couple of years....I have a tendency to jump the gun. You are more than welcome to pm me (I got a good deal that I'm going to pass on) as I am going to be listing it for sale later this evening. :)

so I can't really afford to ditch another but maybe a supplement?? I've heard caught ya grammar is awesome from some wonderful momma's here on the HIVE? so maybe that will help with retention?

my husband suggested I supplement instead of ditching....

three weeks into homeschooling and maybe my nerves are rattled and my doubts about my abilities are overwhelming me?

Grammar Town, Grammar Island and the corresponding Teacher Manuals and Student Workbooks and Teacher Manuals. Is all of it necessary?

I have not used MCT, but from what I have read, you can buy just the teacher manuals and let your students do their work on individual whiteboards.

I'm currently using Growing with Grammar and honestly it's drudgery for my son. My girls couldn't care less. One of my daughters likes it well enough. My other daughter seems to be going through the motions but when we review, I see that she's doing just that. There's no real retention going on there....

Anyway, the point of this ramble is - is purchasing all of this necessary?

It's about $150.00 worth of stuff

If only grammar is what you need, I think you can buy only the grammar & practice TMs for the Island and Town level. That will come out to $75.

You could post your question on the MCT Yahoo group.

HTH