Menu

Federalist papaers. . .

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

Which ones to have ds (12th grade) read during semester of U.S. government? Really, I don't want to read the whole thing - so how to decide which ones to read?

Barb

Definitely start with #10 an #51. I read these to ds 13 yesterday. They are perhaps the two most important in terms of their influence on the US Constitution.

You also may want to research the background on the Federalist Papers. It is very interesting-they were all written in quite a compressed time frame. Bill Bennett's America: The Last Best Hope Volume I explains it. His 3-volume set is an incredible American History course. If you subscribe to the accompanying online roadmap, you and your student have access to all kinds of supplemental materials and assessments. You can really adapt it to be American History for any grade between 8 and 12.

(Sorry for the bunny trail. We are learning so much this year in American History. It is really comprehensive. Can you tell I'm excited about it?;))

Guest Barb B

Tampamommy, Thanks for the "bunny trail"! We actually have vol. 1 of Last Best Hope here. I plan to use it for dd (now in 7th) when she gets to high school. One question: do you need 2 years to cover all 3 volumes? I was considering planning her to do it 9th and 10th. Seems like alot for just 1 year.

Barb

Guest Barb B

Well, on another thread I noticed this teaching company dvd mentioned: Great Debate: Advocates and Opponents of the American Constitution. Oh my, I looked and its on sale. So I ordered it. Really, this year we are using the Calculus lectures (understanding calculus problems tips and solutions); also the lectures on Homer's Odessey (thankfully only 12 lectures) and now this one (also 12 lectures). Not sure how ds will react!

I could be addicted to teaching company dvds!

Barb

Well, on another thread I noticed this teaching company dvd mentioned: Great Debate: Advocates and Opponents of the American Constitution. Oh my, I looked and its on sale. So I ordered it. Really, this year we are using the Calculus lectures (understanding calculus problems tips and solutions); also the lectures on Homer's Odessey (thankfully only 12 lectures) and now this one (also 12 lectures). Not sure how ds will react!

I could be addicted to teaching company dvds!

Barb

Oh, I think I'm the one who recommended it. I hope you love it like my son and I did! SInce you have the lectures, you can just do the recommended reading selections to go along with their lectures.

The lectures on the Odyessey are great too!