Menu

Math Mammoth w/o Internet Access?

Guest RecumbentHeart

Guest RecumbentHeart

I've been looking ahead as i consider taking advantage of the homeschool co-op discount on MM and noticed there are a bunch of recommended free online resources for supplementing the worksheets as the parent sees fit. I'm wondering if anyone that has used MM has other suggestions that wouldn't necessitate having Internet access. I like the idea of supplementing MM with something that would give a deviation and break from the paper work but unfortunately online supplementation is out.

We are having a "game day" one day a week with MM. Addition and Subtraction War, Uno, this site has a ton of ideas. What I really want is the Rightstart games but for now I am having to save $. I think they look like a really fun addition for a break from worksheets. Oh, and "game day" has become great motivation to finish our work in a timely manner throughout the rest of the week.;)

Guest RecumbentHeart
We are having a "game day" one day a week with MM. Addition and Subtraction War, Uno, this site has a ton of ideas. What I really want is the Rightstart games but for now I am having to save $. I think they look like a really fun addition for a break from worksheets. Oh, and "game day" has become great motivation to finish our work in a timely manner throughout the rest of the week.;)

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it! I had been wondering if the RightStart games would be a useful supplement but I don't know anything about them. Even reading about them on alabacus.com doesn't seem to tell me much besides that they're "everything need to make math fun." :p Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it! I had been wondering if the RightStart games would be a useful supplement but I don't know anything about them. Even reading about them on alabacus.com doesn't seem to tell me much besides that they're "everything need to make math fun." :p Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

Well, if you want to get a good idea what the RightStart card games are like, here's a link that shows how to play 11 of the games. I found it very helpful. The cards are simple enough, but the games look like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to starting these soon (even though I'm not using RS for math).

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alabacusmathfun&aq=f

Guest RecumbentHeart
Well, if you want to get a good idea what the RightStart card games are like, here's a link that shows how to play 11 of the games. I found it very helpful. The cards are simple enough, but the games look like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to starting these soon (even though I'm not using RS for math).

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alabacusmathfun&aq=f

Thank-you. :) That is much more helpful than what I have come across so far.

I personally don't think there is any need to supplement Math Mammoth, atleast at the lower levels, but games and math readers from the library can be great fun.

It also appears that you are doing MEP, which will provide other ways of tackling math problems, patterns, puzzles, etc.

My 5yo dd enjoys games from 'Games for Math' by Peggy Kaye. You can try to borrow the book from the library and note down the games. I have also created some games from www.filefolderfun.com, which my dd plays when she doesn't want to do worksheets (which is often enough!). You may also look at http://letsplaymath.wordpress.com for more ideas.

Guest RecumbentHeart

nansk, thank-you so much for those thoughts and ideas. Something simple like games and readers is really all I want but out of my box so I'm only just starting to learn what is available and these links have all been so helpful. We are enjoying MEP Reception and I wouldn't mind continuing to use MEP but I have the concern that a second curriculum would get time consuming. I guess only experience will tell what will work for us and I'm feeling better about MM now that I have alternative ideas for fun extras.

I appreciate you ladies!