Menu

Need Help: Latin and Composition

Hi!

My dd will be starting 9th grade next year and while our family has been homeschooling for 16 years, we are fairly new to the Classical method.

We tried Latin this year and she totally did not get it. I need something that takes it in slow, incremental bits with lots of review.

As for composition, this has been a problem from the beginning. She does fine with grammar, punctuation and spelling. It's just putting it all together.

Any suggestions?

This is what her year will look like so far:

Math: Algebra 1/2 - Teaching Textbooks

Pysical Science: Apologia

History: Mystory of History Volume 3 Plus lots of reading

Enlish I: (Probably) Write Source and TLP

But I'm really looking for good ideas here!!

Health/PE

Latin: ?

Music/Art: Will be done through history

Blessings,

ClassicMom

It would help to know what you have tried that didn't work. For Latin, I recommend Latin in the Christian Trivium. It is a 4-year high school course but some people use it for younger students. It uses a notebooking method that you can do as quickly or slowly as you need to. The author is also available to answer questions via email and she and her daughter (I think) teach online classes. http://www.latintrivium.com/

For writing, something that is incremental starting from forming good sentences and short paragraphs is Jensen's Format Writing. My 7th grader used it earlier this year and I think it really helped him. We only did about the first half of the book--we stopped before we got to the longer essays--we may do those next year. It also covers book reports and business writing.

It would help to know what you have tried that didn't work. For Latin, I recommend Latin in the Christian Trivium. It is a 4-year high school course but some people use it for younger students. It uses a notebooking method that you can do as quickly or slowly as you need to. The author is also available to answer questions via email and she and her daughter (I think) teach online classes. http://www.latintrivium.com/

For writing, something that is incremental starting from forming good sentences and short paragraphs is Jensen's Format Writing. My 7th grader used it earlier this year and I think it really helped him. We only did about the first half of the book--we stopped before we got to the longer essays--we may do those next year. It also covers book reports and business writing.

I was actually thinking of Format Writing. I will have to take a look at it at the convention.

I don't know about Latin Trivium. It looks like she will have the same problem. The problem is that they throw them so many vocabulary words and their derivitives. She gets overwhelmed. However, she wants to go into nursing after high-school and I really feel that Latin would be beneficial to her. (As well as passing the PSAT/ACT)

Without formal grammar Latin is difficult.

AS I wrote in a previous post, we've homeschooled from the beginning, but have only started Classical homeschooling this past year. As far as what you would call "formal" grammar, she really hasn't done any. But she did one year of intense grammar through Calvert's Scholastic program.

Hi. Let us know which latin program didn't work, so we can make suggestions.

In regard to composition, I am not sure what you have used in the past, but here are few more ideas. IEW is expensive, but great because the student workshops are on DVD. If you need daily structure, Put That in Writing is a great resource. There are samples on the website: http://www.barrettsbookshelf.com Lastly, if the student needs help with style, someone on the board found a book by Don Kilgallon helpful...I think it was titled Sentence Composing for Middle School.

HTH!

Clare

Hi. Let us know which latin program didn't work, so we can make suggestions.

In regard to composition, I am not sure what you have used in the past, but here are few more ideas. IEW is expensive, but great because the student workshops are on DVD. If you need daily structure, Put That in Writing is a great resource. There are samples on the website: www.barrettsbookshelf.com Lastly, if the student needs help with style, someone on the board found a book by Don Kilgallon helpful...I think it was titled Sentence Composing for Middle School.

HTH!

Clare

We actually tried Latina Christiana which is written for much younger children. She did fine until she got to all of the derivitives and then it sunk her. I got her "Ludere Latin" for extra help and that confused her more because there were extra derivitives in there. I wanted to use the Latin from the people from "Hey Andrew"? but it wouldn't count as High School Credit (at least I don't think so).

Put That In Writing was EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!:hurray: