Menu

Lingua Latina - which materials to purchase?

Greta

I guess it depends on whether you have had Latin before and how deep you want to dig. The College Companion is a tremendous help. Exercitia Latina I has extra exercises for each chapter. The Teacher's Materials book has the answers to the questions following each chapter and the Exercitia Latina I. Colloquia Personarum is a nice source of additional reading material but is in no way necessary. I would recommend all of the above if finances allow it :)

I guess it depends on whether you have had Latin before and how deep you want to dig. The College Companion is a tremendous help. Exercitia Latina I has extra exercises for each chapter. The Teacher's Materials book has the answers to the questions following each chapter and the Exercitia Latina I. Colloquia Personarum is a nice source of additional reading material but is in no way necessary. I would recommend all of the above if finances allow it :)

Thanks! We have done the first book in the Latin Prep series, but we're switching to LL for awhile because I want to try a different approach. I like the idea of reading Latin, rather than doing tons of translation and grammar. I want to make it fun and engaging, and to give her the feeling that she knows some Latin, which she doesn't really feel at this point.

The online subscription says that it includes the Exercitia Latina, but I don't know if it includes the TM book. Finances are quite limited, unfortunately, so I do need to prioritize.

I'm planning to do the online course subscription.

Will that give you access to audio files? I don't know about the PC CD-ROM version, but the MAC version has audio files that can be imported into iTunes or a like program once you locate their directory. The official audio CD only has the first 10 chapters, but the MAC CD-ROM has audio files for both books in their entirety.

Will that give you access to audio files? I don't know about the PC CD-ROM version, but the MAC version has audio files that can be imported into iTunes or a like program once you locate their directory. The official audio CD only has the first 10 chapters, but the MAC CD-ROM has audio files for both books in their entirety.

Their website says:

The course includes the audio files for the first 31 chapters of Familia Romana, all the Pensa that are in the book, and all the Exercitia Latina I exercises.

For $15 per year.

So it's more than the PC CD-ROM, but not as much, I gather, as the Mac CD-ROM? I'm a Mac user, so I had considered the Mac CD-ROM. I was leaning towards the online subscription instead because it's cheaper. But do you think the difference is worth it?

But do you think the difference is worth it?
I don't know about the PC interface, but the MAC interface is horrible. Since you'd have access to all the audio files, I'd stick with the online materials.

We take a class online and this is what we use.

LL

Exercitia

Colloquia

CD to listen to the chapters . . . repeatedly!

Intensive teacher created chapter packets that have new and old vocabulary, cultural notes, history notes, grammar notes, maps, charts, and more.

We also use other materials like video-like games at Quia (I think you have to be a member but I don't think you have to be in anyone's class to play the games), little videos, in-class competitive (and maybe cooperative) games, et c.

That's all for Latin 100 which is the first half of the book. If there is something new for 200 I don't know yet.

Have a wonderful time! We really like LL and our class but it is really tough, challenging material with a lot of homework.

Stick with it and have a great time!!

For materials I would have said what chanda7 said, but she beat me to it. :)

Online can be fun, I did a few chapters with the exercises on CD, filling in the answers. BUT... it's not what I'd recommend. I feel that popping a word into a sentence, or just filling in the ending to a word in a sentence, gives you practice in just that - filling in words and endings when given a whole sentence.

When we do the exercises, both the pensa and the exercitia, we write out the whole sentence filling in what needs to be filled in. If the sentence is a question, we write out the question and then the answer.

My kids grumbled at first but quickly saw they retained a lot more doing it that way. They did really well in their online classes last year. When your teacher asks you questions in Latin about what you've read, questions not taken from the exercitia, it becomes apparent fast how well you really know the material.

Currently my two oldest are reviewing all of last year's Latin prior to the start of this year's classes, and this time they are allowed to just fill in the missing info. Until the last chapter or two anyhow. :001_smile:

Online can be fun, I did a few chapters with the exercises on CD, filling in the answers. BUT... it's not what I'd recommend. I feel that popping a word into a sentence, or just filling in the ending to a word in a sentence, gives you practice in just that - filling in words and endings when given a whole sentence.

When we do the exercises, both the pensa and the exercitia, we write out the whole sentence filling in what needs to be filled in. If the sentence is a question, we write out the question and then the answer.

My kids grumbled at first but quickly saw they retained a lot more doing it that way.

:

This is very helpful - thank you! My dd is definitely the type who needs plenty of practice and reinforcement, so I will go ahead and buy the exercitia book. I'm so glad you told me!