Menu

10th Eng and great books transcript & credit questions

My dd15 is taking Ancient Greek Literature with GBA. I have been thinking of this as a literature credit and separate from Eng 10.

For Eng Lang Arts 10 she has MCTLA Academic Writing, Grammar, Words within Words, Poetry, and literature readings from EOC. She will have writing assignments too. Is that enough for an Eng 10 credit?

I'm asking because when we met with our advisor yesterday he wanted to lump all of that plus the GBA Ancient Greek Literature course into Eng 10. I felt that didn't represent the course load, nor what was being covered.

The advisor got a little annoyed with me and said it didn't matter, that the colleges would be looking to see if she had met her English, Math, and Science requirements, and had high SAT scores.

It that really so? Am I wrong on this? It just seemed that if a student was taking on a harder course load that it should be reflected. But maybe I'm wrong on what Eng 10 should be.

Okay, I looked both up in TWTM just now and it looks like the above is enough for Eng 10, and that great books study should be awarded it's own credit. TWTM lists it for the transcript as "World lit. 1" in 9th and "World lit. 2" in 10th.

Sorry this is so long. Please do let me know if you think for what dd is doing it would be accurate to assign an Eng 10 credit and a separate lit credit, or not. The advisor btw, put the GBA course down as "Ancient Greek Lit" and put it down as her senior elective in Eng. Lang. Arts. ??? They don't actually have a listing "Ancient Greek Lit" in the system, he was putting it on a form and requesting it be "back worded" or some such thing.

Does it matter what it is called on the transcript? Should I ask it be listed as World Lit 1?

Thank you so much!

Rhea

I would absolutely award 2 separate credits for English 10 and Greek Lit. Northwestern's CTD program awards a full (2 semester) HS credit in "Honors English Vocabulary" just for Word Within the Word! MCT teaches the course himself (correspondence course), and in addition to completing all the assignments in WWtW, the student needs to read two books with challenging vocabulary and write a very short essay on each. If your DD is doing Advanced Academic Writing, WWtW, Magic Lens grammar, poetry, literature, and composition, that is already waaaay more than most PS kids would do for an English credit, and I assume the Greek Lit course will be another full credit's worth.

Can you track hours? That would give you even more ammunition if you need to fight your "advisor" about this. (A standard "Carnegie unit" is about 120 hours per HS credit.) You could also print out this page from Northwestern, showing that just the MCT vocab program is worth a full credit.

Jackie