Menu

History/Literature for High School

I'm planning ahead for my two oldest dc (currently 7th and 6th graders). Neither has a strong interest in history. My dd loves literature and wants to be a children's author or, in her words, just a mom who homeschools. :001_smile: My ds LOVES science and nature and is considering engineering (but he also loves to cook and seems more and more to be interested in doing something with that). With that in mind, which would you recommend for history/literature for high school, Beautiful Feet, Notgrass or My Father's World? I'm also considering Truthquest, but I know that requires a lot of planning by me, so I need a more independent alternative.

Thanks so much for any insight/advice you can give. Beautiful Feet or Truthquest appeal most to ME if I were the one studying history. However, I like how easy Notgrass seems to be to implement for the just "get'er done" factor and how MFW seems to give a lot of hand-holding for both the parent and student.

We just started 9th grade this year. All summer I considered what to do about history/lit. We narrowed our choices down to Notgrass, BF, and AOP's lifepacs. My oldest does not like a literature approach. She is more a "just the facts" type learner. So, we went with AOP. I must say I am impressed so far with this program. It is very straight forward with little to no teacher prep. What I like the most is that it is taking many of the things we have previously studied and putting it all together.

I am looking toward Notgrass for my youngest because she enjoys reading, but does not want a total lit based program like BF. Both of us want some sort of spine with literature included.

HTH

My dd is going into 9th this year, but we're not starting for a couple more weeks. She'll be doing MFW. I like that it's fairly rigorous and it's all laid out for dd. The hard part will be the writing, but I think this will work out great for her!

My oldest ds did Life Pacs in 9th and disliked it immensely! He said the history was BORING, and the science too. Life Pacs math was great for my ds16 in 5th and 6th grades. So??? It matters what YOUR child thinks! Have them help look at things and see what catches their interest. There are MANY choices, and probably there's more than one that could work.

Best wishes!