Menu

Please critique my plan for my ds7.8, and ds5.7

JadeOrchidSong

I have been planning for the new school year. Can you please let me know how it looks and what I have missed?

Together:

SOTW 1 (3/4 done) and Sonlight Core 1 (6 weeks left): We are done with the read-alouds and readers for both boys in Core 1

Then go to SOTW 2 with Sonlight Core 2 x3

Apologia Astronomy with notebooking journal for older ds x2

Bible daily

Art: Dh teaches once a week

Getting started with Latin: Dh is teaching all of us at dinner table.

Song school Latin: songs throughout the week and ds7.8 will do the worksheet pages once a week

Minimus Latin: Just whatever dh wants to do and however often he wants to do it.

Ds7.8

Singapore Math 3a (0ver half way done), 3b stand. edi. with IP x4

HWT Cursive x2 or x3

Sequential Spelling 1 (40 lessons left), then Seq. Spe. 2 x3

Rod and Staff English 3 (25 lessons left to go) x2 I want to slow this down so he doesn't start R&S 4 too soon.

WWE 1 (6 weeks left), then WWE 2 x3

Ma Liping Chinese Grade 2 x4 He will also attend the Chinese class on Sat.

Readers: I will use reader list on Oak Meadow, Veritas press and other list for him because I ran out of SL readers.

Ds5.7

Singapore Math 1B and IP, and then onto 2A, 2B x4

HWT Printing x3

FFL 1/2 x3

ETC 7 and 8 (or just skip 8) x4

WWE 1: will start after he turns 6 and after we drop ETC x3

Ma Liping Chinese Grade 1 x4 (and Sat. Chinese class)

Readers: Sonlight Level 2 Intermediate Readers

Piano private lessons:

I hope to hire a private teacher to come to the house to teach once a week and the ds will practice on other week days for 20 minutes a day.

Both will have cub scouting.

They also go to a homeschool co-op twice a month and ds 7.8 has the classes in PE, art, and science: Apologia Human Body

Chinese is the hardest of all. I am not sure if I should start ds5.7 now. Dh wants him to start, though. It is very time consuming and we have to do it four times a week.

Does this look complete and doable? Is this too much or too little?

Thank you!

J

Your plans look great! I love Sonlight and Apologia. I also like the cubscouts idea and piano. I don't know about Chinese, but just because I'm not familiar with it. I would just make sure you don't fall behind on the language arts (reading, writing, spelling), math, and Latin. If they have a good foundation in LA and math they can pick up on the others quickly.

This is pretty impressive! It's great that your husband works on school with them. I'm sure that helps a lot.

I hope it all goes well!

We're looking forward to Sonlight:001_smile:

Ashley

Your plans look great! I love Sonlight and Apologia. I also like the cubscouts idea and piano. I don't know about Chinese, but just because I'm not familiar with it. I would just make sure you don't fall behind on the language arts (reading, writing, spelling), math, and Latin. If they have a good foundation in LA and math they can pick up on the others quickly.

This is pretty impressive! It's great that your husband works on school with them. I'm sure that helps a lot.

I hope it all goes well!

We're looking forward to Sonlight:001_smile:

Ashley

Ashley,

It's great to "see" you here. Ds7 loves scouting. This den is mostly hsed kids and half the 90 minutes weekly meeting is in the gym doing PE, which is wonderful for us homeschooled boys. The other half of the time they do the activity in the book. They have some outdoor activities but not as much as the other one I checked. At the end they have 10 minutes devotional. So it is good.

Both boys are very good readers. I overdid LA with older ds, so now I am slowing down some. Some Chinese immersion schools only offer one hour of English instruction a day to begin with. My ds are still young, and since their English reading ability is well built, I will focus this coming year more on Chinese before their other subjects get heavier. After this year, I will be a little slower for Chinese and put everything else back on track.

Thanks for your encouragement!

J

I think I missed an important detail. Are you or your husband Chinese? I think it's great that they are learning Chinese and they'll know it really well learning it at a young age. It's a good idea to focus on weak areas if they are ahead in others. What a great thing about homeschooling, that we get to do this! I hope everything is going well!

And, we received the Sonlight stuff in the mail today, everything looks great! We looked at all the books briefly and the kids are thrilled. I don't know who's more excited me, or them:lol: Thanks SOOOO much!:001_smile:

Ashley