Menu

Dynamic Literacy....swoon!!!!!!!!!!

Halcyon

I loved the idea of this series. A while ago I ordered the one from the next level up (Elements?) and it was the wrong level for dd10 - too hard, or too tedious. or something. She hated it. My fault. It has the meanings of prefixes, suffixes and root words printed on the inside covers, which is great. The exercises have you making words by putting them together, but you have to figure out the meanings of the new words for yourself, by looking them up in the dictionary. I cannot say that the meanings of the new words were entirely obvious merely from the combination of root and prefix/suffix. Naturally dd10 was not a fan of the dictionary aspect.

Instead we're using Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop and we like that much, much better. The organization makes more sense to me - each unit starts out with a reading section, so one can see the words in context. You get a flavor for the word. Then they give the definitions with example sentences, and the rest of the exercises proceed from there.

I do like the focus on prefixes and suffixes in the Dynamic Literacy workbook; maybe we'll use it in another couple years, or over some summer. It looks/feels a lot drier than VW.

Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop sounds interesting. Can you tell me where to see sample pages? Thank you!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic