Menu

AP World History (self-study)

Dd is entering 9th and jut told me she wants to try AP World Hist at home. That way if she can't keep up, there is no pressure to take the AP test in May.

I'd love to hear how to go about this. I've been on the college board website and looked at the course description and DBQ's. But is there a place where I can purchase a syllabus? Wht books are good to use? Shoudl she just take notes and how do I teach her to answer deeply and quickly for essays/DBQ/s?? (That's a biggie question!)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Btw, dd will also be taking another AP Human Geography thru' PA homeschoolers this year. DO you think adding in AP World (lots of reading I'm sure) is too much for 9th grade along with 6 other subjects (Eng, Alg2, Bio, Spanish1, AP HG, Art history)?

I just wanted to encourage you to do a search on the boards here for the topic, as I found several promising resources for this particular exam. We have opted not to do this particular AP exam, but it wasn't for a lack of resources available! :)

For the main AP text, there are several to choose from. We opted for the World Civilizations: the Global Experience, AP edition, but Stearns -- you can google for teacher reviews of APWH texts to get various opinions. We picked this one based on reviews (narrowed it down to 2 choices) and availability (the clincher for this one over the other, at the time).

For supplemental materials: One title I remember in particular was AP World History: An Essential Coursebook (by Ethel Wood) -- oh, and a standard "Cracking the AP" or "5 Steps to a 5" for the world history AP, as well. Read some reviews on Amazon of these books, and you'll see links for others too.

Be advised that the APWH exam will be changing in another year or two, so if you are preparing to take the test THIS coming school year that's fine, but if it's later than that be sure to check when the changes will be implemented.

Btw, dd will also be taking another AP Human Geography thru' PA homeschoolers this year. DO you think adding in AP World (lots of reading I'm sure) is too much for 9th grade along with 6 other subjects (Eng, Alg2, Bio, Spanish1, AP HG, Art history)?

It may be too much depending on your daughter. When I was deciding between AP HG and AP WH for my 10th grade son, we chose HG because with the online courses, WH was recommended for 11th/12th grade students and very mature 10th graders.

One issue with WH is that your daughter must be able to write a good essay pretty quickly. HG doesn't require as strong of essays, rather they are just looking to see if the student answers the questions correctly.

You may want to consider breaking up her world history study across 2 (or even 3) years. Maybe by era, such as Ancient and Medieval this year or by region - European History, Asian History or something like that. Each of these would be worth a whole credit. Then you could plan on taking the World History exam next year or even the year after.

Of course, you know your daughter and I don't. It could be that she is very capable of doing WH this year. Just wanted to offer another opinion/approach for you to consider