Menu

I know several families who are in Homeschool Co-Ops. Meaning they get together with several families to share the teaching of core subjects.

My understanding of NC homeschool law, and it seems to be pretty clear and direct on the subject, seems to call this illegal. Does anyone have any insight here that I'm missing?

I know several families who are in Homeschool Co-Ops. Meaning they get together with several families to share the teaching of core subjects.

My understanding of NC homeschool law, and it seems to be pretty clear and direct on the subject, seems to call this illegal. Does anyone have any insight here that I'm missing?

I think it depends on what "teaching the core subjects" means exactly. Meeting once a week for a lesson in science with the mom doing the rest of the week I think would be ok. Who is doing the teaching and who is doing the enrichment? The parents need to do the teaching and the co-op does the enrichment not the other way around. At least that's how I read the law.

However, once the parent/guardian each year has provided the initial foundational instruction in the academic subjects, he/she may then arrange with any other person he/she wishes to provide supplemental learning activities in any or all academic subjects desired.

The key issue here is the supplemental nature of what's being taught, not the actual substance.

Professional educators may be utilized entirely, though, for elective learning activities such as foreign or sign language instruction, private music lessons, choral or band instruction, athletic related training, art instruction, keyboarding, computer usage and other similar types of enrichment or skill development/enhancement activities.

The traditional academic subjects of language arts, math, science and social studies are widely regarded by educators as academic subjects.

from http://www.ncdnpe.org/FAQs/hhh114g.aspx#E

Legally, the co-op is supposed to supplement the teaching at home of core subjects. However, the state of NC says that Language Arts and Math are the only required subjects for grades K-8. With that in mind, yes, a co-op can be the primary teaching for subjects other than Language Arts & Math for grades K-8, since the other subjects are not required by NC law.

Clear as mud?

HTH,

Kim