Menu

Book Suggestion for modern day European history

This is a very thick but fascinating look at Europe in the last century. Written by a Dutch journalist who travels to key places in Europe and ties in their status today with what happened in their modern past. A bit like Studs Terkel and a bit like a modern journalist, he emphasizes the culture of the time, and the facts we learn in history, then intertwines them. I would suggest this for a history in late high school, to be read during modern day history.

Jeri

Dutch journalist...travels.. Europe...I should know this....but I don't :001_huh:.

ETA: I Think it is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Europe-Travels-Through-Twentieth-Century/dp/0307280578/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281451233&sr=1-1

Certainly nice reading...although the first half of the twentieth century is *seriously depressing* and so is the book.

But if it is some other fascinating book, please tell :D.

Geert Mak is a well known author in the Netherlands. He has written several historical books. He is a historian, but his books are more 'general interest' and do not have any footnotes, so his writing is best described as historical journalism.

He originally wrote 'In Europe' as a weekly column in a newspaper, later turned it into a book and there is also an accompanying TV series (but I do not know if that has been released with subtitles).

Actually, I started reading 'In Europe' a couple of months ago (I must be the last Dutch to read it :lol:), but I only have time to read at night before I go to bed. In the first part of the book he travels to all the battlefield of WW1 and WW2 and the book got sooooo depressing, I had horrible dreams all the time (I'm pregnant :tongue_smilie:), so I had to stop reading it :blush:.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through. (Let's see, but I've still got to get through WWII, the Cold War, Chernobyl, . . . maybe you're right and the whole book is llike this!) I like that it has all kinds of really fascinating info that I didn't know. But I think it helps if you have lived or traveled in Europe. For example, I never knew the significance of the Potemkin Steps but I've seen them in Odessa, Ukraine. And I had no idea that the German government actuallly funded Lenin on his way back to St. petersburg just before the Russian revolution! And they did that because it was during WWI and the Germans wanted to stop having to fight the Czar on the eastern front. I guess I'm a history trivia buff (and most definitely not reading this book while pregnant!)

Thanks, Tress, for the update on who Mak is! Best wishes on a calm, restful, healthy pregnancy!

Jeri