Menu

can you tell me about ETC online??

Johanna

yeah, i was wondering if it could be used for more than one kid or not? I was wanting to make this a workbox activity, she already does MCP plaid phonics books, so this would be a supplement.

We have click n kids, but she doesnt like it anymore.

You're supposed to pay for different kids, though there's a discount for the second kid, I think. And if you wanted to use it in a limited way, you could set it to do whatever activity you wanted instead of letting the computer figure it out based on how they were doing.

We're trying it this year and the kids have used it some so I'll toss out...

PROs

For workbook resistant kids who like computer games, it's a nice idea and has varied exercises.

You can do the same thing over and over if you need more practice (unlike in a workbook).

CONs

There's a lot of typing. While I've read that some studies support the idea that writing in conjunction with learning to read may provide a benefit, I've read that typing is not so good and might actually be detrimental for kids before a certain age to learn.

Skipping an exercise requires that you log out of the kid's account then log into the "supervisor" account, then log back into the kid's account. In other words, it requires more active involvement from the parent than I wish it did.

Some of the pictures aren't obvious. Then, perhaps in part because they are sort of unusual, it becomes easier to memorize the picture and the letters for the picture and not really sound it out. In other words, to game the system instead of really learning.

IMHO, there's way too much weight placed on the timed aspect of completing each exercise. I watched one of my kids fly through it and get every one right except for one minor pause for one of those obscure pictures and it gave him a lower level from it. I was floored. That one little pause that would have hardly been a blip as he read a book made him have to repeat the level when, watching from the outside I could see he clearly knew it.

ETA: I feel like I made it sound really bad. Actually, I think it's mostly okay and I feel like we're going to be able to use it this year. I was just especially disappointed by the amount of typing and the hassle it takes to change it.

Edited by farrarwilliams

It's worth buying from homeschool buyers co-op for half price, but it's not worth $60. I used it for my older daughter when she was late 5-early 6 to be sure she didn't have any phonics gaps. I never did formal phonics with her, so this was perfect. She could test out of the levels she didn't need. I'm using it again for my son who is a younger 5. It's working okay and he seems to like it, but I have to stay on top of things because if he gets distracted and wanders off or gets silly and starts doing things wrong on purpose because he thinks it's funny, they score him 'below basic' and drop him way down to the beginning of the unit. That part is kind of annoying. I just check the parent report at the end of his session and make sure he is still leveled properly. If not, I just manually reset him. I also have the books. They cover the same things but in a different way. It's nice to have the material to preset in two different ways.

I think it has potential to work as a stand alone phonics curriculum, but as it's written, it's not working that way. It would be great for early readers who don't have the fine motor coordination do do all the writing if they didn't penalize so heavily for speed.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

I watched one of my kids fly through it and get every one right except for one minor pause for one of those obscure pictures and it gave him a lower level from it. .

Yeah, what is UP with the pictures? Especially the ones with the arrows...is it pointing to foot? Ankle? Heel? Step? What?

Barb

thank you. this is really good info, i just dont want to waste money! I want something that is independent and fun and cheap, and supports phonics learning....I have a late bloomer 7yo dd who is still struggling to read fluently. So, I am looking for anything possible to strengthen her abilities!

Yeah, what is UP with the pictures? Especially the ones with the arrows...is it pointing to foot? Ankle? Heel? Step? What?

The other day I stared at one of the pictures for a good minute before I figured out it was the back of a hammock and supposed to be "nap." Honestly, if I hadn't had a selection of possible letters, I don't know if I would have gotten it.

On the other hand, I really like the silly sentences they make you read. That's sort of a clever aspect of it.

thank you. this is really good info, i just dont want to waste money! I want something that is independent and fun and cheap, and supports phonics learning....I have a late bloomer 7yo dd who is still struggling to read fluently. So, I am looking for anything possible to strengthen her abilities!

It sound like it may be a good purchase for you then. ETC online seems to work particularly well for an older child. I wouldn't recommend it for many preschoolers, which is unfortunate, because with a few tweaks it would be perfect for emerging reader. It may work okay with a focused little one who is eager to learn to read, but not for the typical wiggly, distracted boy.

You may want her to take the end of unit lesson assessments until you hit the point where she begins to falter. You may not want to start her all the way back at CVC. There are a LOT of lessons and she may get burned out and sick of the program before she hits the challenging material.

Barb

It sound like it may be a good purchase for you then. ETC online seems to work particularly well for an older child. I wouldn't recommend it for many preschoolers, which is unfortunate, because with a few tweaks it would be perfect for emerging reader. It may work okay with a focused little one who is eager to learn to read, but not for the typical wiggly, distracted boy.

You may want her to take the end of unit lesson assessments until you hit the point where she begins to falter. You may not want to start her all the way back at CVC. There are a LOT of lessons and she may get burned out and sick of the program before she hits the challenging material.

Barb

thank you, this is a great tip!!

We have used the workbooks and the online program together. Both kids likes it. My reluctant reader was more prone to doing the exercises on the computer. However, I recommend you still reenforce with your own explanations and us the TGs. They have good/fun ideas to teach kids concepts.