Menu

What questions do I need to ask my vision therapist?

Tell them that you have to commute a great distance to their office and that you're wondering if they can be flexible about appointment scheduling. There are computer programs that your son can use that monitor his progress between appointments. They should be able to extend the time between visits to two weeks or more.

Both of my kids went through vision therapy. It really helped both of them. I completely understand about the long commute to the therapist as ours was 1.5 hours in each direction.

If your child has SPD, I think the important thing would be to find a therapist who does not do "school" VT, which is largely paper-based and does not involve integrating the rest of the body's systems with the visual system. Sports vision therapy is one type of therapy that does work on integration; sometimes it can be a kind of shorthand-speak for a more integrative approach.

I'd ask about how many kids they work with who have SPD, what their general approach is, what types of exercises or activities are most common. If you can take the time to find the book Fixing My Gaze by Susan Barry, there are a few chapters in the book that describe in detail the types of activities some therapists do, which go beyond reading and focusing exercises (and you can then ask about these specifically). These are the types of activities my daughter did during her second round of VT (the first was the "school" type and it did absolutely nothing for her), when we were lucky enough to find a therapist who did more things to integrate eyes, brain, fine motor reflexes, balance, etc.

Maybe OhElizabeth will chime in here; she has done extensive research into VT before getting into it with her daughter and she is the queen of question-asking-before-jumping-in. I didn't really know what I was doing and just lucked into a good fit the second time around. Best wishes for you in finding a good fit and a flexible one!

Edited by Guest