Menu

AP English Lit prep: Sonlight 530? Exc in Lit? Other?

We did Excellence in Literature (American) this past year and my DD has said that she would like to do the Brit Lit version next. But now I am thinking ahead to a probable AP exam on the horizon (either this junior year or next senior year), and wondering if that's the best course of action.

I really would like it to be a challenging college-prep course.

I have not been the best at reading all the books with her, nor providing her with challenging discussions (although we did do a monthly lit discussion group with a few other hs-ers for all the books, as well as Yahoo discussion group for some added limited book discussion for those teens). But then I started thinking of Sonlight 530 and wondered if maybe that would be better, more complete. Although I do worry if it would seem like one of those awful contrived study guides that is so annoying to use. lol

I like that Exc in Lit had essay topics for each book, but w/o me being more involved I'm concerned that she's not being challenged enough. Any opinions? Or is there something else out there that would be good?

I am trying to make contact with a high school English teacher we know to see if she would be up for occasional feedback on papers at the very least, or perhaps some book discussion if she's up for it.

FWIW, I've got the background to do all this English stuff, just feeling stretched pretty thin and not wanting to slight my daughter.

Edited by StaceyZ

Do you have Excellence in Lit? It's OK to me, and can definitely be done on your own. I think Lightning Lit guides mkight be a little more thorough.

I can't speak to Sonlight, as I've never used them.

AP Lit will focus on rhetorical devices, which you won't get much of from any of the above. You'd either have to put a course together yourself for this or take a class online.

My favorite lit programs are Windows to the World and Glencoe Lit guides which are free online. Glencoe lit guides have indepth questions that really make you think about the book's message and characters. They have journaling and writing exercises too. Neither one of these would be AP though.

The third runner up would be Lightning Lit.

Thanks, Michelle! I do have the Exc in Lit for American, and while I liked it, I am looking for a greater challenge at this point... something more comprehensive. Sonlight 530 is their British Lit, so it's different from other Sonlights (which I've never used but have local friends who have so I'm pretty familiar with it). I've never felt happy with Sonlight as an option, but it seems like their Brit Lit is quite different... maybe??

I will definitely go look for Glencoe's Lit guides though and see how that would be. If we're putting together our own course, I really need to get kicking on a schedule/syllabus because I don't want her waiting on me.

So it sounds like Windows might be good for rhetorical devices, and maybe Glencoe to beef up the reading, etc. Does that seem accurate?

I'm wondering how much reading is good (jr/sr years). Like 2 books a month?? I know there's not a hard and fast rule; just thinking out loud....

Forgot to say -- one thing I really liked about Exc in Lit is that it had the student start with some research on the author and historical time period, etc., and do a little write up on that. The guide's author does supply some websites, etc., for that, but I suppose my DD could do that on her own especially now that she's done it so much.

I was going to have her do the "honors" track of Exc in Lit if we used it for Brit Lit this year, which basically means more reading. But it doesn't really offer guidance for that added reading, just suggested titles.

If you're going for AP Lit, you'll need to be familiar with rhetorical devices such as parallelism, hyperbole, satire, irony, extended metaphors, allusions, and more. They want students to be able to identify rhetorical devices and the effect on the reader or writing when used. It also includes a good portion of poetry and analysis.

IMO, I think the AP Lit and Lang tests are extremely difficult. It would be easier and probably more enjoyable to take the college course itself as a high schooler. To me the tests kind of squeeze the joy out of literature. :tongue_smilie: