Menu

Sonlight Core 100 users...

michaeljenn

I will be using Core 100 this coming year and have a question for those who have/will be using this core.

I am debating on using the writing that is scheduled in the Core. It looks very interesting and I can see how it will stretch my dd!! So, I would love to hear from others who has used the writing in the core and how it worked for you.

I was also planning on using US History based lessons from IEW... I am wondering if it will be too much to try and do both. I just really like the way the writing in core 100 makes the child think!!

Opinions???

Not much experience but after using TOG for 4/5 years...I think SL is lacking in it's instruction regarding HOW to write.

I wonder if it wouldn't help you to do IEW and include SL's assignments as practice. If it were me, I would use IEW as the core instruction for the 15 week intensive period (there are IEW forms and direct instructions for doing this in 15 weeks).

I think IEW will help with the HOW to write. SL will be the what to write. One thing about that though, SL has very much a creative writing bent from what I've seen. Not a ton of non-fictional assignments. IEW deals heavily with non-fictional pieces so this may present a small problem.

HTH.

I won't be following up on this thread, if I can help any further, pm me.

I always found it frustrating that SL had good writing assignments, but no real writing instruction. I used US history-based writing lessons for my dd when she did Core 100. I liked the Core, but didn't feel that it was really at high school level, but was perfect for 7th or 8th grade. I used SL for many years, but have come to the conclusion that the Cores they consider high school level just don't work for us.