Menu

One last question about Charlotte Mason method

Can someone please explain to me their experiences with the CM method?

I can't wrap my head around the whole idea. Reading books to learn something? Being public schooled for 10+ years has obviously make me think differently.

I just don't really understand.

Can someone please tell me how they know their children are learning everything that you set out to teach them? For example, if learning about a certain time period, how did you know a few books would teach them about it?

Thanks. If you don't understand anything, please tell me and I will try my best to clarify my concerns.

A "few books" is much more than a chapter in a text book. It is easier to remember information that is learned in a story form, a child wants to hear and/or read, than reading a dry text.

How much do you remember of a novel you read in high school verses what you learned in a history text?

A "few books" is much more than a chapter in a text book. It is easier to remember information that is learned in a story form, a child wants to hear and/or read, than reading a dry text.

How much do you remember of a novel you read in high school verses what you learned in a history text?

I am in high school now, a Junior.

I understand what you are saying about remembering a novel more, but you must also remember all I was ever taught to learn by was a textbook.

Another question, if anyone has kept a book of Centuries, would you please share your experiences? Thanks.

Also, I suppose I really want to know, were narrations and dictations enough for your children to remember? Did you do anything else to ensure they remembered? Thanks.

Okay, maybe I have one more question :blush:

How do you substitute books if you use Ambleside Online?

Do you find books only in the same time period, or about the same thing.

For example, a book I could not find online was about two Jewish boys growing up in New York in the '40s. I was not sure if I should try to find a book about Jewish lives in the U.S. in the '40s, or if I should try to find something much more similar to the book.

You should join a yahoo group called AmbleRamble. It's all about using substitutions and full of other good ideas.

The CM method does seem very different from a public school way of doing things, but it's so very effective. Most of us going into it for the first time (either as a parent or student) need to do some sort of adjusting - but the key is to have faith in the process. Here's a good site for beginners (there's more than just the one page):

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cheps/ao-start.html

And of course there's so much reading to be done on the AO site itself. I would go to the site map page and just read as much as you can. I'm finishing up my second year using AO and can't wait to start up with a new year! My son loves it and he's gotten so much out of it. We use the whole method - not just the booklists, but the nature, poetry, composer, & artist schedules, and try to incorporate as much of the CM methodology as we can (short lessons, handicrafts, afternoons free, outdoors every day, etc)

Good luck!.