Menu

Schlessinger Media history DVDs...

Anybody used these in a middle or high school history course? Specificaly, I'm wondering about the Origins to 2000 DVDs; I think there are 26 volumes in the series. Can anyone tell me how in-depth these are? Do they thoroughly cover the topics, and are they biased in any way?

I was thinking of using these as sort of a "spine" this semester with ds so he can push on through to the end of his last high school history course!

a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, they were good for middle school, but would just be a very light supplement for high school (would be good for a visual learner). I don't remember seeing the one you mentioned specifically, but I got them from my library, maybe you could ask them about getting one inter-library loan for you if they don't have it themselves?

no bias that I remember (but it was quite a few years/moves/babies ago)

We have watched many history Schlessinger videos, and they are enjoyable, but not very much in-depth. I think these are only 35 minutes for a rather large chunk of history such as Civil War, Progressive Movement, etc. They are interesting, well done, balanced, with actual footage, but pretty light for high school, in my opinion. You might have better luck with the Teaching Company videos... just my opinion!

I used many Schlessinger History and Science DVDs with my dd. They are short 30 minutes or so and give an overview of the topic. Sometimes they can be detailed depending on what the topic is. I have been pleased with them and my dd enjoyed watching them. I found they were a great way to introduce a topic or I would use them as a review once a unit was over. Schlessinger media's website http://www.libraryvideo.com has downloadable Teacher Guides for most of the DVDs. I found them helpful in leading discussions, giving background information, and for writing assignments on the topic. They are also free.

Thanks, Beth, for the link. My ds is a senior, and I was hesitant to use these with him, but the Schlessinger website suggests using them through 12th grade. Also, ds absolutely hates history (alas, my favorite subject!). He is in his final semester of high school, dealing with a full course load + college application process + extracurriculars including church & volunteer work & part time job. He's a bit overwhelmed -- and so am I -- so when I saw these DVDs at the library, I thought it might work to use these to help push him through to the end of this last bit of the 4-year history cycle.

You might want to check out the Teaching Company DVD's. There are several on American & World History. If you go to their site, you can get a full explanation of each course. I think they would be more worthwhile for your high school student. Much meatier and definitely geared for hs to adult.

Many libraries carry them.

You might want to check out the Teaching Company DVD's. There are several on American & World History. If you go to their site, you can get a full explanation of each course. I think they would be more worthwhile for your high school student. Much meatier and definitely geared for hs to adult.

Many libraries carry them.

Thanks for the suggestion. These sound good, but unfortunately, our library doesn't carry them & they aren't available through ILL. Our library system will only lend books through ILL, but no DVDs or videos. :(