Menu

how much writing for rising senior. . .

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

Related to my other thread - how much writing do you have your seniors do per week. Also, types and lengths of assignments. I see opportunities for ds writing in literature, US government and his class I titled "morality and justice" (the text I am using makes this easy as each chapter usually gives a great writing assignment). Also, I may add current event (especially compared to what he is reading in Governmnet and his moraliy text). DS takes a long time on writing assignments, and tends to not have them handed in by the time I set. THese are 2 things I hope to change this year - hard and fast due dates!

So, 1. what types of assignments do you give (or plan to)

2. length

3 how many per week

Barb

My older dd will not be doing much writing for me. Why? She is doing a 20th century literature class which will have an essay every two weeks and she is also taking a journalism class which requires her to write news articles. Furthermore, she has college essays to write, a book she is working on, and plenty of case and brief writing for debate. I am not sure whether she will do a prepared piece for speech or just impromptu, but that may require more writing. The only writing she will do for me is short essay answers for world history and probably some longer practice essays for AP test.

Now my ninth grader will be doing writing for me. She is taking GOvernment and Economics which requires a research paper, a book report, and a few other short papers. She is also taking Modern History which requires an essay a month. She will write short essays for English, probably every other week. SHe will definitely be writing for speech because she will have a prepared speech. She also will likely write some essays for drama.