Menu

MFW question for Donna A

campmom

"The folks at MFW are of various Christian denominations... the Christian Church, Vineyard, Baptist, non-denominational (IFCA), Lutheran... just to name a few that I know of. They don't put any specific denominational slant into the curriculum. For example, they teach about communion in the context of studying bread/yeast and Jesus as the Bread of Life, but don't tell you how you are to perform it or when. They teach that there will be "a new heaven and a new earth" by assigning a reading of Revelation 21 at one point, but don't tell you when or how it will come about. They teach that Jesus will come again, but don't tell you how or when. Those kinds of specifics are up to you, the parent.

So it's just the basic tenents of Christianity in general that MFW teaches. You do a LOT of Bible reading (large chunks of both the Old and New Testaments in elementary, and then a cover-to-cover reading of both in high school), church history, reading of missionary bios, and focus on the Gospel and service to Christ. You can find information about their missions focus (Bible translation) and missionary & discipleship training on their website."

When you say the folks at MFW, who are you talking about? Isn't all of the curriculum written my Marie? OR is it written by different people? I have heard David speak and was very impressed by his message so I was just wondering what you meant by this and how it would affect the curriculum.

Thanks

I'm not Donna. But I've used MFW since 2003 and have attended one of those vision weekends that MFW holds and this is my perspective of what she typed.

I think Donna just made a simple typo and meant to write

"The Hazells don't put any specific denominational slant into the curriculum" to clarify the "they" in the sentence instead of implying MFW has multiply authors.

I think Donna was just trying to explain that MFW isn't one specific kind of Christian beliefs because the staff do not all attend the same kind of church, but they all get along. :)

There are some MFW things that aren't specifically written by Marie, but are approved by her such as Lesson plans for Rosetta Stone, and lesson plans for Saxon Math. But that's kinda minor stuff. Marie writes the program and it is her name on that.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin
clarity

I'm referring to their staff. Yes, Marie is the author and David does the traveling and speaking, but they have quite a few people on staff who work in the office and warehouse, and most of them live in the same town in Rolla, MO. Some of them have also done conference talks at homeschool conventions, as David can't possibly make it to all of them himself.

Marie does very little public speaking, as she's busy writing curriculum. ;)

Sorry for the confusion about the wording, though. I guess my point was just that their emphasis is on the Bible itself, and not on denominational specifics. Some publishers that I know of would ONLY hire people who belong to their specific denomination, so that's why I mentioned the staff, too, i.e., the "MFW folks".