Menu

If Deconstructing Penguins was a huge eye-opener for you, raise your hand

Annabel Lee

So I've now heard of this book in several places but I haven't yet read it. It sounds really interesting, but I'm just curious... I've always loved literary analysis. I was taught it in high school, where we had to do more than I was asked to do in college, honestly because we had all these 2-period discussion seminars and analysis questions. Then, when I taught school, I often used picture books and movies to introduce concepts of analysis (literary and otherwise) to secondary students. Am I going to find this book boring or will it have something new to say to me on the topic or just generally reinvigorate my interest?

Given your background with literary analysis, I couldn't say. I had nothing. No exposure whatsoever to analysis of literature. As an adult, I had heard of it only within the definition of people sitting around and trying to read things into a book or into the author's mind that have no supporting evidence. That sounded silly. Then I read WTM and some other hsing books, so I got a new mental picture of a slightly more useful version of lit. anal. Given MY background with it, it was groundbreaking for me. You may want to just pick up a library copy & skim it before checking it out.

I was an English major in college, so I did a lot of literary analysis. Depending on the teacher, it was either tedious and boring, or fascinating and eye-opening.

I was an English major too, and usually enjoyed literary analysis, but like you said, classtime enjoyment depended on the teacher. I've never heard of this book but look forward to reading it. My kids are still elementary ages, but I was already questioning, "Just how do I teach them what I did in college?" Silly, I know ... they could do it in college, right?

It's really a short book. You have told us that you have done a lot of literary analysis, but since you were not specific about it, there's no way to know whether this is all repeat for you or not.

I too have done my share of literary analysis; I have an English degree with considerable time spent on Renaissance literature. I am enjoying the book.

So I've now heard of this book in several places but I haven't yet read it. It sounds really interesting, but I'm just curious... I've always loved literary analysis. I was taught it in high school, where we had to do more than I was asked to do in college, honestly because we had all these 2-period discussion seminars and analysis questions. Then, when I taught school, I often used picture books and movies to introduce concepts of analysis (literary and otherwise) to secondary students. Am I going to find this book boring or will it have something new to say to me on the topic or just generally reinvigorate my interest?

The book deals specifically with teaching books to elementary students, though the ideas can certainly be used on any fiction. She walks you through books like Charlotte's Web and The Phantom Tollbooth.

I was an English major too, and usually enjoyed literary analysis, but like you said, classtime enjoyment depended on the teacher. I've never heard of this book but look forward to reading it. My kids are still elementary ages, but I was already questioning, "Just how do I teach them what I did in college?" Silly, I know ... they could do it in college, right?

It irks me that they place so much emphasis on protagonist/antagonist and that their definition of protagonist (the character who pushes the action forward) is one I've never heard before anywhere .... The controversial definition wouldn't bother me if they didn't place so much importance on it, to the point where their interpretations of some of the books really don't work at all if you don't accept their definition. I also feel like some of the discussions they describe display what I see as a potential pitfall of attempts at socratic discussion: that it becomes something of a game where the students try to figure out the "right" answer that the teacher has in mind, and there's no room for give and take or alternative interpretations.

All of that said, I think there's some great stuff in there, too. I like the way it guides you through the discussions and make them seem so doable. I like the way the way they explain analysis as being a book detective. I like the way they insist that young kids can think seriously about literature. And the title is awesome. Deconstructing and Penguins are both great words that should find their way into book titles far more often.

I agree. I bought the book after skimming it at the library because I didn't get introduced to literature analysis until high school and I still struggle with interpretation of poetry. I really want my son to start hearing some of the terms earlier than that, especially since he has Asperger's and is extremely literal. The idea of a 'deeper level' of thought inside a book or poem is going to throw him for a massive loop, and I don't want him to have too harsh of a reality check. I'm probably not going to use DP's definitions of protagonist/antagonist because, quite frankly, they're too difficult to understand and work with, IMHO.

As stated above, though, the book makes analysis doable and exciting, much like I felt WTM did when I started contemplating home education in the first place. It might not be the end-all, be-all for explaining literary themes, but it's a great jumping-off point. I'm looking forward to some discoveries at my house in the coming months. :)