Menu

Considering TOG

starwarsmum

I'm using Sonligh core 1. But I added SOTW 1 and love history much more. My kids are enjoying it a lot. I am considering switching to TOG at some point. So what is a good time to switch. I originally planned to finish Core 4 (American history) and then switch. But now I feel I don't want to wait so long. i really want history to be more interwoven with church history.

My kids are 7 and 5. So what do you think when it is good to switch from Sonlight?

J

Awesome, thanks! I'll let them pick which one to start with then.

How did you find the switch? Do you prefer TOG? My 10 year old needs some hands-on activities and I thought he'd like TOG. We did Sonlight 1+2, 3+4 and 6.

Amy

Amy -

I found the switch to be everything I was hoping for, and more! After spending a year "tweeking" SL 3 to make it work with 3 kids grades K,3 and 4 ( 2 different cores was stressing me out) - I was ready for a curriculum that would facilitate getting everyone on the same page - and TOG did that beautifully! Everyone studies the same time period, with age appropriate reading and activities. Plus, with the amazing map aids, the weekly evaluations, and the hands-on options, Tapestry was and continues to be a great fit for us. I cannot envision ever switching to anything else!!

That being said, you will find more in Tapestry than you can possibly do in one year - it is like a buffet - take what you like, the options are many, and remember that you will be coming back to that Year plan again in 4 years, where you will enjoy other items on the buffet!

If I were you, I might considering starting in Year 2, Unit 3 - which will start you in early American colonies. I have never done SL 6, but it looks like it covers the Reofrmation and New World explorers. Otherwise, you could start at the beginning of Year 2, and have some review, and some more hands-on with some of the material you have recently studied. I don't think you can go wrong either way!!

I'm using Sonligh core 1. But I added SOTW 1 and love history much more. My kids are enjoying it a lot. I am considering switching to TOG at some point. So what is a good time to switch. I originally planned to finish Core 4 (American history) and then switch. But now I feel I don't want to wait so long. i really want history to be more interwoven with church history.

My kids are 7 and 5. So what do you think when it is good to switch from Sonlight?

J

Of course, when you switch is totally up to you - when you feel that what you are currently using is not working for you and your family any longer. If you want to switch after Core 1, I would say go ahead and start TOG at Year 1 - your children are young, and TOG Y1 is rich with a lot of Biblical history, Jewish feasts feasts and festivals, and I think you would find enough that is new to not be a total review of SL 1. However, if you wanted to do SL 2 then switch, you would probably pick up TOG at Year 2 Unit 3, with early colonies.

I have found the history to be more central to TOG, whereas literature through the Read Alouds were more central to SL. The literature we have read with TOG has been excellent, but the way Marcia Somerville weaves the threads of history, and Christian worldview throughout, is really impressive in my opinion. Sometimes with SL I found the chronology of history was not presented as much at the forefront, whereas in TOG it definately is, very much so. The history selections that we read are excellent and very solid! Plus as a teacher I felt more prepared to teach history with TOG's teacher notes....

Edited by half-dozenroses

Thank you so much Angela, I feel so great about trying TOG now. I get overwhelmed with the amount of reading with Sonlight and find that there is still so much to do on top of what they schedule. I talked to my boys and they surprised me that they want to do more recent history so I'm looking at TOG 3, which is the time period they're wanting. I think they'll love it. And it's available at our local HS store which is a big bonus over Sonlight's insane shipping rates to Canada!

Oh, we loved Core 3!!! Excellent!!!! Your children will have a blast and you will be blessed as their teacher!!! Your 10 yo will be upper grammar which will mean much less reading aloud for you - not sure the ages of your other children - but even with Lower Grammar, it was not as much age reading as SL. Dialectic is a great stage too for discussion, which the Teacher Manual walks you through... that is where we willl be this year.

You might check out TOG webinars on their site - there were a couple in May that are designed for those new to TOG.

(Edited to make more sense - I accidentally deleted some of the text!)

Best of luck to you!!

Edited by half-dozenroses

• 2 weeks later...
Angela,

What edition did you buy? Computer, print or the combo? Any recommendations? Usually I prefer the paper version because it allows me to put my computer away but I like the price of the computer version and the freedom to search.

Thanks!

Just saw this and noticed you did not get a reply. We are switching from SL to TOG this fall. We have purchased Year Plans 1-3 already the digital editions mainly for the shipping costs. I was concerned because like you I have always preferred having something in my hands but after buying the digital editions I was hooked. The digital edition has way more flexibility and buying the combo would cost you way too much on shipping for the print. Shipping costs from TOG unfortunately are pretty high also so why pay them when you don't have to. With the digital edition you can just print whatever you want or need. Not sure where you are getting the books from but check out Rainbow Resource and bookdepository. If you have an order over $500 you only pay 8% on shipping from Rainbow while through bookdepository you pay no shipping and the prices are quoted directly in CAD. You need to price shop but you will notice (not sure what other programs you use, we use Horizons Phonics and Math, Singapore Math etc.) that many programs are $20-$30 cheaper than the asking price from Canadian suppliers which makes it cheaper to buy from the US even with the shipping. I hope this information helps you somehow. Also, not sure how good your library is or if you intend to use the library. In our case even if I wanted to use the library for Year 1 LG I couldn't, because our library doesn't carry most (if any) of the books.

Edited by Guest

Awesome, thanks! I'll let them pick which one to start with then.

How did you find the switch? Do you prefer TOG? My 10 year old needs some hands-on activities and I thought he'd like TOG. We did Sonlight 1+2, 3+4 and 6.

Amy

I've done both. I personally preferred ToG. ;) I found it more versatile in our large family and for a few other reasons as well.

http://truevineherbs.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/sonlight-vs-tapestry-of-grace-the-last-battle/