Menu

Union City, MI?

Is there anyone reading this who lives in or near Union City, MI? We are considering a move to that area. I'm trying to get a feel for homeschooling activity (if any) in or around the city (or village, per it's website). Looking for info on local homeschool groups, co-ops, classes, etc. How is the library situation? Local theatre or arts community? Museums, state parks, botanic gardens, or other educational resources nearby?

I've already researched MI homeschool laws, and it looks like the state is way more lax than our current state. Anyone have horror stories to share, or is it really as simple and hands-off as it sounds?

I'd appreciate any info anyone can provide. Thanks a bunch!

I don't know that particular city, but I grew up in Sturgis, which is about 1/2 hour west of Coldwater. It's quite rural, but there are cities nearby. Battle Creek and Kalamazoo both have awesome theaters and museums. Coldwater has a wonderful theater - Tibbets. They are a professional theater that hires local talent. I worked there as a violinist for a musical. They also have a children's theater in the summer.

Chicago and Detroit are also fairly nearby if you want really big cities.

Homeschooling in MI couldn't be easier. Really. I don't report to anyone. No testing is required. Nada.

I just did a google search on Union City and read that it is 134% more likely to be hit by a tornado than other cities in MI!!! You may want to consider a basement! LOL

Good luck!!!!

Thank you for the info, Jennifer! I appreciate it. Hmmm . . . and, I thought we'd be leaving tornado weather behind. So much for that. At least we're seasoned tornado folks, and we've always wanted a basement (not common in this area due to proximity to water table). :)

Theatre scene sounds wonderful, and Chicago is a place I'd love to take dd. Loving the sound of easier homeschool laws.

Thanks again!