Menu

Institute for Excellence in Writing?

I need to do serious instruction in writing/composition with my 8th grade ds (14 yo)and 10th grade dd (16 yo). We've had little to no instruction (depending on the year) in this area. In the rainbow resource catalog I saw the IEW resource Ancient History based writing lessons. Since we are doing ancient history, this seemed like good timing. But I can't tell from the RR description, or from the IEW site, if this resource can be used as a stand alone program, or if IEW requires previous IEW experience. We've never used IEW but I'm constantly seeing great reviews of it, but to use the entire IEW program is too costly for me. But this History based program, if it can be used alone, is affordable. Anybody know more about this?

Linda

It can be used as a stand alone program but you need the Teaching Writing Structure and Style to be able to use it. TWSS is the teachers dvd set. You can buy them used if you join the IEWFamilies yahoo group and then request to be addedto the IEW for sale list.

You actually can start with SWI-C or B (depending on reading level of your children) in lieu of TWSS...SWI is just a shortened version of TWSS and to me much more user friendly. IEW has a yahoo group that is full of resource helps in the files section...if it were me I would use SWI for 15 weeks (that's how many lessons it is broken down to..but they also have reinforcement lessons in case one section needs more practce, we just found we did not need it most the time) then starting in January I would go with one of the theme based (i.e. Medieval/History/Character based etc.) If you join the IEW families page you will see amazing helps in the files section...it's a full writing program with lots of helps!

HTH!

Tara

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
You actually can start with SWI-C or B (depending on reading level of your children) in lieu of TWSS...SWI is just a shortened version of TWSS and to me much more user friendly. IEW has a yahoo group that is full of resource helps in the files section...if it were me I would use SWI for 15 weeks (that's how many lessons it is broken down to..but they also have reinforcement lessons in case one section needs more practce, we just found we did not need it most the time) then starting in January I would go with one of the theme based (i.e. Medieval/History/Character based etc.) If you join the IEW families page you will see amazing helps in the files section...it's a full writing program with lots of helps!

HTH!

Tara

I just wanted to add that the SWI's don't cover every unit of TWSS. If you want instruction for every unit you'd need to do an SWI and an SICC.