Menu

im lost and in need

Guest oddgirl323

Guest oddgirl323

So im not sure what to do anymore im 16 and my mother is being extremely diffuclt my teacher told me i might have Dysgraphia because of my handwrtiing and my inabillity to write legalable and for my essays to make sense and the fact that my writing structure is just terrible its always been a problem for me and i thought i was just a bit slow but i looked it up online and i fit alot of the catagories i told my mother but she just disregarded and told me im just using excuses and being lazy but im not i literally want to cry at times when writing essays or writing in general because im ashamed of handwriting and ive had countless people tease but i just cant fix it so since my mother is paying no attention to this i was wondering if icould go somewhere alone and get the diagnistic without her?

Hi Oddgirl,

My son was diagnosed dysgraphic when he was 12. I know how hard it is to struggle and struggle to get things right and you just can't do it. I saw my son really suffer and his confidence was zilch.

Here are some resources that might help you overcome your difficulties somewhat, though keep in mind that everybody has some kind of weakness they must cope with. But perhaps these can help lighten the burden a bit.

http://www.as.wvu.edu/~scidis/dysgraphia.html

My son's physical therapist used this program: http://shopping.hwtears.com/product/Can-Do_Cursive/cursive You might even talk to the handwriting/PT's at the hwtears website and get some wisdom and advice from them.

Don't feel bad about the handwriting program being labeled 5th grade. You need to remediate yourself. Go back to square one and start over. You'll go much faster than you did the first time! But having a refresher course showing you the basics again will do wonders for you.

Have you heard of 'crossing the midline'? The physical therapist did all kinds of fun exercises with my son to get him to cross the midline. These are brain exercises that basically help your processing abilities (to put it very simply!). Here are some suggestions: http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_act/act_2006/03_Mar/pg04.html

My son had to go to therapy 2 hours a week for a year before he improved so you have to work on this stuff pretty steadily for a period of time. But I bet you will see improvement.

God bless you. And my advice is to not say another word about it to your mother but work on it on your own steadily. She will notice improvement or she will witness you trying your best to overcome your weaknesses and this will earn her trust and respect.

Feel free to post again whenever you need encouragement. I'd be so happy to support you in your efforts!