Menu

Baronstestprep.com for PSAT?

We have taken an SAT/PSAT Prep class with Jean Burke, of College Prep Genius, and she says to beware of any prep class that is not using materials directly from "The College Board". I am quite sure she mentioned Barons directly and stated not to use them. I believe Purdue is one of the others. They are not using the actual tests that your student will be taking. Hope that helps. If you google College Prep Genius - you may be able to find more info.

I'm skeptical about test prep sites selling a bundle of services, and felt we were well-served by using "official" resources and working on our own. I heard many good things about Barron's but didn't think it was a good fit for us. However, my very straightforward son was really helped by the Princeton Review's analysis of how to decide when it was better to not answer and how to make the best educated guesses on the SAT. The only resource we used that cost much was the Chalkdust SAT review which was worth it for us.

Also, the best testing decision I made was to order the full score analysis from ACT the first time my son took the test. It was a great help in deciding what needed extra work in our math curriculum. He took the ACT in June just after 11th grade and again the following October. His scores were noticeably higher the second time around. If I had it to do over, I'd have him attempt the ACT in the fall of 10th & 11th grades, order the assessments and use them to tweak curriculum choices and daily work requirements. Then I'd have him take it one final time in 12th grade.

By having the ACT assessment I was able to pinpoint some weak math areas and narrowly target our review. At the same time, I was reassured that the few items he'd missed on the English section were things he'd just not covered yet--the second time around he had a near-perfect score in English and did substantially better in math.

Clarification on Barron's: My reservations are mostly about buying expensive bundles of tutoring services and lots of materials regardless of the source. I have talked with several people who used a Barron's book with practice tests on their own and felt it was helpful. While I agree with the idea that it's a good thing to use "official" materials, sometimes an outsider's perspective offers insights and analysis you won't get from the in-house materials. I thought the Princeton Review's tone was a tad cynical at first, but it helped my son step back and see the SAT for what it is, and more important understand what it is not.

Edited by Martha in NM
clarify a point

The SAT has a similar service called Question and Answer Service, but it isn't available for all testing dates. You have to look for the dates that have it and pay an extra fee for it ($20, I think). With that service you get a copy of the actual test booklet, your student's answers, and the correct answers, so you can figure out why each missed question was missed.

The SAT has a similar service called Question and Answer Service, but it isn't available for all testing dates. You have to look for the dates that have it and pay an extra fee for it ($20, I think). With that service you get a copy of the actual test booklet, your student's answers, and the correct answers, so you can figure out why each missed question was missed.

Thanks for the reminder! Since my son decided to focus on the ACT I'd forgotten that SAT has that option too. My take on test prep books are that they're mostly about learning how to take the tests which usually doesn't take long. However, if scores show that you need to make curriculum adjustments the Q&A and analysis allows you to focus specifically on the problem areas.