Menu

Doing SOTW alongside Human Odyssey?

funschooler5

We'll be starting SOTW 3 this year. Last year, I had my (then) 6th grader listen along while I read SOTW, and then she would read the assigned pages in her Kingfisher History Encyclopedia before doing a narration (we're still working on outlining).

This year, I'd like to incorporate Human Odyssey into the mix (or maybe take out Kingfisher). Has anyone done this? Would it be difficult to find each corresponding SOTW subject in HO? Or would skipping around take away the usefulness of HO?

Any input would be appreciated. :001_smile:

I wouldn't skip around in HO (I'm assuming you're talking about the K12 one). They did a great job making it very coherent and it would lose that if you were to skip around. It's not like the Kingfisher where every entry stands alone.

I decided that it was an impossible task to get the topics to line up perfectly, so my oldest (6th) will listen to the group read alouds of SOTW and then do his reading by himself with some kind of comprehension activity. I would not break up the chapters. SOTW and Human Odyssey cover the same time period but with somewhat different focus.

One other question for anyone that wants to answer...

Since DD finished the subjects that correspond with SOTW 2 last year, this year, should I have her pick up where she left off (date-wise), or start at the very beginning of the History Odyssey book (which repeats info she learned last year, the Renaissance, Reformation, etc.)? Would she miss a lot if we just delved into the book part-way, but kept going constantly to the end?

One other question for anyone that wants to answer...

Since DD finished the subjects that correspond with SOTW 2 last year, this year, should I have her pick up where she left off (date-wise), or start at the very beginning of the History Odyssey book (which repeats info she learned last year, the Renaissance, Reformation, etc.)? Would she miss a lot if we just delved into the book part-way, but kept going constantly to the end?

While the volumes are written so that a student could just pick up in the middle, a huge strength of the series is that it is coherent and you will lose some of that if you omit a book.