Menu

Rising 10th grader -- what do I need to know about PSAT, etc?

My dd's first choice college gives scholarships straight off the bat for SAT and ACT scores. Obviously, we are quite motivated for her to get the highest test scores possible.

She is a rising 10th grader, we have access to testing at our local community college and probably at our local Christian school. This is all new to me. Which tests should be we concerned about *now*, as far as prep and registration? I don't want to overwhelm her, just focus on what we need to do for this year. My usual approach would be to hit Barnes and Noble and buy every test prep book on the shelf. I'm thinking that would be overkill at this point. ;)

Won't you be able to get her doing tests at the local high school? That is where PSATs are given. WHat you do is call the local high school, explain who you are and that you want your daughter to take the PSAT. You come in, pay your money, and she takes the test in October. The tenth grade is totally optional. The PSAT costs about 10 and is just a good practice. IN the 11th grade, the PSAT can count for the National Merit Semi Final contest if she scores really well. SAT and ACT are also given at the high school on Saturday mornings. You sign up for those online and choose which school and test date you want. AP tests are arranged directly with the local high school like the PSAT is. However, you need to call for those in the winter so they can order the test. THe test is something like $85.