Menu

Y or N--Math Mammoth, then SingMath and MEP?

distancia

What do you all think of this combo?

Math Mammoth 6A and 6B , then moving on to Singapore Math 7/8 combined with MEP (Math Enhancement Programme)?

This would be for my dd 17 who needs to relearn math for a deeper understanding. I would give her about 1 month of the above, filling in the gaps in her comprehension, then move on to Foerster's Alg 1, each day doing a couple of exercises in MEP for an "alternative" style.

I'm trying to get her primed for her last chance at the SATs as a senior in November. She took 1/2 a year of Alg 2 last year fall 2009 at p/s and didn't learn a thing. [sAT math 500] I think a deeper understanding of Alg 1 will benefit her more than a superficial knowledge of Alg 2.

What say you?

Aaack. I don't know. Post this over the high school thread; they may have better answers. A month is a short time to cover basics if not understood.

I would definitely not use Singapore and MEP. If your dd is used to traditional math textbooks, those programs will confuse her. Math Mammoth might work. If you can explain the concepts, Maria has the Blue worksheets for specific topics.

My almost seventeen year old would prefer Khan Academy or maybe Thinkwell. Or how about Aleks? I've never used that, but it might work well in your case.

In addition to various math topics, Salman Khan has an SAT math prep section.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get other great answers.

Aaack. I don't know. Post this over the high school thread; they may have better answers. A month is a short time to cover basics if not understood.

I would definitely not use Singapore and MEP. If your dd is used to traditional math textbooks, those programs will confuse her. Math Mammoth might work. If you can explain the concepts, Maria has the Blue worksheets for specific topics.

:iagree:

Systematic Mathematics has something that might be helpful. Math Rescue has 54 lessons total and could be gone through pretty quickly. It would be very obvious what was not understood.

http://systemath.com/index.php/2008011361/Specialty/Math-Rescue.html

I've never used Math Rescue, but we do use their regular curriculum. Systematic Mathematics is wonderful. It's not a fancy program, but it works.

Melinda

:iagree:

Systematic Mathematics has something that might be helpful. Math Rescue has 54 lessons total and could be gone through pretty quickly. It would be very obvious what was not understood.

http://systemath.com/index.php/2008011361/Specialty/Math-Rescue.html

I've never used Math Rescue, but we do use their regular curriculum. Systematic Mathematics is wonderful. It's not a fancy program, but it works.

Melinda

Good thinking Melinda. I've heard good things about this.

Aaack. I don't know. Post this over the high school thread; they may have better answers.

If your dd is used to traditional math textbooks, those programs will confuse her. Math Mammoth might work. If you can explain the concepts, Maria has the Blue worksheets for specific topics.

My almost seventeen year old would prefer Khan Academy or maybe Thinkwell. Or how about Aleks? http://www.khanacademy.org/

I've been posting these kinds of things at the high school boards and nobody is responding.

My D "used" traditional mathbooks at p/s but never really read one, if you know what I mean. In most p/s (including hers) the teachers tell the students at the start of the school year to just "bring the books home and put them on a bookshelf for reference" and the book is never looked at, just returned on the last day of school. (so much for taxpayer $$). The students learn by the teacher presentations on the board/overhead and take notes. Textbooks have never been used in the classroom, as far as I can determine.

She likes simple, to the point, and uncluttered. She hated Aleks and Thinkwell (is that the one with Ed Burger?) turned her off, she thought there was too much 'fluff" and "hamming it up". Ditto for VideoText Interactive (too much extraneous information)and LoF. She liked Teaching Textbooks but didn't want to consult the wordy textbook, wanted to breeze through the problems on the computer. She prefers brief, blunt, and to the point: show her the problem, tell her how and why it is done/solved, and move on.

What she is deficient in is middle school math (she missed 9 months in 6th grade and never caught up). She is missing radicals, square roots, order of operations, and word problems. That is what I would be using the above 3 for.

Edited by distancia

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I've been posting these kinds of things at the high school boards and nobody is responding.

My D "used" traditional mathbooks at p/s but never really read one, if you know what I mean. In most p/s (including hers) the teachers tell the students at the start of the school year to just "bring the books home and put them on a bookshelf for reference" and the book is never looked at, just returned on the last day of school. (so much for taxpayer $$). The students learn by the teacher presentations on the board/overhead and take notes. Textbooks have never been used in the classroom, as far as I can determine.

She likes simple, to the point, and uncluttered. She hated Aleks and Thinkwell (is that the one with Ed Burger?) turned her off, she thought there was too much 'fluff" and "hamming it up". Ditto for VideoText Interactive (too much extraneous information)and LoF. She liked Teaching Textbooks but didn't want to consult the wordy textbook, wanted to breeze through the problems on the computer. She prefers brief, blunt, and to the point: show her the problem, tell her how and why it is done/solved, and move on.

What she is deficient in is middle school math (she missed 9 months in 6th grade and never caught up). She is missing radicals, square roots, order of operations, and word problems. That is what I would be using the above 3 for.

Have you looked at MUS?

Hmmm...ds14 used Lial's BCM with success, although it may be overwhelming to your daughter. And it's not something that can be covered in a month.

I think you have a good plan as far as math mammoth 6. MM is not cluttered. In fact the incremental, organized structure of MM is part of its beauty.

Just FYI, the Key to series is visually overwhelming to me. It may be to your dd also. Just a heads up if you consider it.

Best wishes. If I think of something else, I'll let you know!