Menu

Talk to me about Real Science 4 Kids labs

Amy in KS

I like the looks of the books online, but I'm not sure about the labs. Are they busywork labs or hands-on style labs? I'm looking for a science curriculum with scientific labs that aren't all crafts or worksheets...

If you had a third grader, would you purchase the pre-level or the level 1?

I did RS4K level 1 with my 6th grader and she thought the labs were VERY fun. They weren't too complicated for me, materials were cheap, and they "worked." My 9th grader always managed to hang out and watch, too.

I'm looking in the lab book now for Chemistry: Lab 1 is a worksheet, so not exciting. Lab 2 is marshmallow molecules (build an H20, build a CH3OH, etc.); not exciting but a good visual and then you get to eat it. : ) Lab 3 is when the chemistry started -- mixing solutions. Lab 4, making an acid/base indicator. Wow, ammonia smells so bad. Labs 5 - 10 are also chemistry/solutions/reactions.

HTH! I can't answer your question on which level to get.

Wendy

They work and prove the point. Having only used level 1 materials, I can say the Chem was okay. We got better labs out of books intended to function as a "chem lab" book and not a chem program. (Fizz, Bubble and Flash) and from the Thames and Kosmos kits. I like the text though and find it concise, but thorough and worth the study.