Menu

Free online courses

What state are you in?

In Florida, home schooled students can sign up for Florida Virtual School classes a la carte. Students can take one or a full load and still be considered home educated under Florida statutes. B/C FLVS is available to public, private and homeschooled students, homeschoolers can be under an umbrella school or registered independently through the county.

Lisa

Lisa we can take them a la carte, but we have to register with the public school first. It just seems strange to register with the school, but not take any classes at the physical building. I'm guessing it's just a way to account for the home schoolers, but I just thought I'd ask what everyone here thought of that.

I'm in FL too, and if we are going to use classes in the physical schools, sports, therapies or other extra currics, we have to register at the school. It's weird and a pain b/c our local schools are basically clueless about what needs to be done. I knew more than anyone in the whole admin office of the local jr. high and I got a letter of truancy when my son didn't "show up" for school the next year....very annoying.

We have signed up, however for the virtual school and have so far, had no issues :)

Hmm. Do you retain home education status when you register with the public school? That would be a deal-breaker for us, just because it affects some of the other priviledges we have as homeschoolers in Florida.

Lisa

Yes, you do. You are allowed up to 3 classes in our county while still keeping home school status. We haven't sent them for anything b/c our nearest school is bad news, but one of my boys did one track on season from there. It was fine, but I wasn't thrilled and he didn't really care enough to go back the next season.

We'll be sticking to flvs from here on out and using a church league for non-competitive sports.