Menu

Does anyone use Janice Van Cleave a lot?

Janice Van Cleave's science experiment books *seem* so comprehensive that I am thinking about relying on them entirely for Logic Stage Science and on her *Play and Find Out* for Grammar Stage Science (for the latter stage, I would also use the two *Mudpies ... Magnets* books and a couple of other similiar books).

Her coverage of all the major branches of each scientific discipline looks complete to this non-science major, but even with my lack of education in the area, her biology books seem to have given genetics short shrift.

Does anyone else have an opinion about relying on the Van Cleave books? We've been neglectful towards science because it's been such a hassle hunting down supplies for the experiments, but my time is now freeing up a bit for me to manage things better. I am of the opinion that no matter how many science books we own and videos they watch, they won't learn science unless they go out and practice experiments.

Our daughter is geared towards biology and our son physics.

Daughter: 9; Singapore Primary Mathematics 3B; Story of the World Level 3; Writing Strands 3; Spelling Workout Level D; Science experiment books recommended in WTM; WWE3

Son: 6: First Language Lessons Level 2; Singapore Primary Mathematics 1B; general handwriting practice and reading practice; SOTW 1; WWE 1; Science experiment books recommended in WTM

They are fun experiment books, I've chosen Friday to be our experiment day so that each week I get an experiment in no matter, my ds always reminds me. The experiments are simple with household items and then there is a short paragraph to explain why the experiment worked out the way it did.

I think if you're neglecting science then it is a great way to get experiments into your schedule. And it's easy to beef up the topic should the child be interested in it with books from the library. When they actually complete the experiment I think the hands on activity cements the theory. We're working our way through biology for every kid.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Janice Van Cleave's science experiment books *seem* so comprehensive that I am thinking about relying on them entirely for Logic Stage Science and on her *Play and Find Out* for Grammar Stage Science (for the latter stage, I would also use the two *Mudpies ... Magnets* books and a couple of other similiar books).

Her coverage of all the major branches of each scientific discipline looks complete to this non-science major, but even with my lack of education in the area, her biology books seem to have given genetics short shrift.

Does anyone else have an opinion about relying on the Van Cleave books? We've been neglectful towards science because it's been such a hassle hunting down supplies for the experiments, but my time is now freeing up a bit for me to manage things better. I am of the opinion that no matter how many science books we own and videos they watch, they won't learn science unless they go out and practice experiments.

Our daughter is geared towards biology and our son physics.

I got Elemental Science this year for my ds6, the Biology. It uses Janice Van Cleave books, but it is planned out for me. I really like it.

I used them years ago with Apologia sciences, middle and highschool levels. We loved them. They were great extensions, but could easily be jump points for research and discovery. As I have said often, I am all abou the discovery method versus the learn method. :D