Menu

How do you keep track of materials you need to get?

mtollie

OK, so I've been filing for hours, organizing for the fall, and I keep coming back to this issue. How do you manage the lists of materials and books you need to purchase or request from the library for a given week? I've read on the other organizational threads about index cards in the pocket on the front, or just a list in that week's file, but call me lazy - I don't want to copy all of that info on another sheet of paper! I'm thinking of book lists for SOTW and things like that. I suppose I could just make a note, "Request books from p.--- on SOTW AG." That would be one more thing to go back and pull out though, and one more thing to remember to do a couple weeks ahead of time!

Any thoughts?

For SOTW book from the library, I have already gone through about the first ten chapters in our library's online catalog to see what they had. As I was doing that, I saved a list in my library account for each chapter. When we start school I can just send that list request when I am ready. :) I also printed out each list for my planning binder.

I would have done more, but our library has a limit as to how many lists you can have and I hit the limit. Also, I think the lists may expire so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and have to do the work all over again.

You might see if your library offers that option on their online catalog. It has made my planning much easier.:)

For everythign else, I keep a spreadsheet in Excel with different tabs for curriculum, extra books, supplies, etc.

Wow, I think it would be great if our library had online lists -- with no limits.

For SOTW, I have done this for each chapter:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2063426/sotw-sample-pdf-july-12-2010-8-31-pm-452k?da=y

The form is one I printed from Donna Young's site. I write a "L" if it's library and "own" if I own it. I check it off as we read it/watch it.

I type up my lists for Science, Art, and Music appreciation. Eventually I will type up SOTW, but it is more for others than for myself. It's a lot of work. :tongue_smilie:

For things I would like to buy, I put in Amazon wishlists by subject. I also make a note if I have asked the library to order it. When they do, I delete it from my wishlist.

Edited by nestof3