Menu

Teaching Company and Early American History Question

I purchased this set from Teaching Company but I've got a question in how to schedule this program - do you use it half the year? or stretch it over the year with other things? The time period covers up to the Westward expansion so not sure whether to make one year American History Part I and then next year (senior year) American History Part II. If I did this then I'd add in an Economics 1/2 credit for one year and the Government for the other (actually probably Government first since it makes more sense to cover this the first half of US History is the formation of the government, right?) If you used this course, any suggestions on additional books. I know it gives some recommendations in the guide but I don't want to use a textbook for this particular child sooooo....looking to come up with something "outside the box" so to speak.

I purchased this set from Teaching Company but I've got a question in how to schedule this program - do you use it half the year? or stretch it over the year with other things? The time period covers up to the Westward expansion so not sure whether to make one year American History Part I and then next year (senior year) American History Part II. If I did this then I'd add in an Economics 1/2 credit for one year and the Government for the other (actually probably Government first since it makes more sense to cover this the first half of US History is the formation of the government, right?) If you used this course, any suggestions on additional books. I know it gives some recommendations in the guide but I don't want to use a textbook for this particular child sooooo....looking to come up with something "outside the box" so to speak.
That was just part of our program. DD absolutely LOVED those dvds! She wants some other class by that same guy! :D

DD did a lot of Living Books, lots of reading over the time period. She did some research into things that interested her, and wrote a couple of papers as well. But she was 7th/8th. I don't think that program is nearly enough for a whole history credit on it's own, so I would look for historical novels and true stories, biographies, etc. that go with the time period. DD enjoyed history a lot last year!

I agree - I'm trying to figure out what I'll use for the other half American History for my audio/visual learner for next year. Ugh! I guess I'll stick with my plans and supplement, supplement, supplement. I may actually use the Pacworks books since I've used AAH 1 in the past.