Menu

Engineering and study abroad

My dd wants to go into Aeronautical or mech engineering and has a dream of doing a study abroad in Germany, which she thinks has unique engineering design.

She's taken 1 yr of Spanish. I'm wondering if I should switch her to German for her last 2 yrs of high school.

Would any other foreign country be better for engineering?

Michelle,

I would suggest that you look at a couple of specific engineering schools your dd might be interested in and see what study abroad opportunities they offer.

An engineering curriculum is usually very full, and in my experience, study abroad for engineers is not impossible, but not particularly common either.

Way back when, my school had an arrangement with a school in France. That was the only option available to us. When my ds was looking at schools, only a few even mentioned the possibility of study abroad. When they did, their students only had a choice of a couple of different programs/countries. Even with that, the students were advised to plan their course selection very carefully if they did a study abroad to make sure they had enough credits to graduate on time.

If study abroad is really important to your dd, then she should definitely make that a part of her college search and specifically seek out colleges that offer study abroad with engineering.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Hi Brenda, she's looking at Georgia Tech and Auburn. GT has a massive study abroad program with 2 or 3 options in Germany.

Auburn is another school she's looking at and they too have Germany.

I assume this will add an extra semester onto her college career. It could also possible mess up her schedule if only some classes are offered during specific semesters.

GT Also had internships in foreign countries.

Of course this is all dreaming. Being a teen, she could change her mind at any minute.