Menu

MBTI & stress

I hope y'all aren't getting annoyed w/ me--I'm so fascinated by personality theory.

So my question is--do you find that under extreme stress, big decisions, etc., one or more of your letters switches? For ex, if you're normally an F, stress makes you pocket your feelings & *think,* but you also become emotionally unavailable, because the result would be like a magician pulling a string of handkerchiefs out of his pocket?

Or vice versa, if you're normally a thinker, under stress do you become more emotional? Does it effect how you approach problems, people, etc?

If you experience such a change, is it voluntary, do you think, or involuntary?

:bigear:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Or vice versa, if you're normally a thinker, under stress do you become more emotional? Does it effect how you approach problems, people, etc?

If you experience such a change, is it voluntary, do you think, or involuntary?

:bigear:

This is an interesting question. I am INTJ with a capital T but I recently went through a very stressful period and I just pulled the plug on thinking. I made a decision to stop thinking, had to stop thinking because it wasn't getting me anywhere. I can't say I went to the other side though. I tried not to feel either. :lol: I guess when the stress first hit, I became more emotional, but I shut that off as fast as I could. Basically, I shut off both sides and just hid out and scrubbed grout tile until the situation passed. :001_huh:

Thank goodness the situation resolved itself happily or else I might forever be an IN_J. :lol:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

This is an interesting question. I am INTJ with a capital T but I recently went through a very stressful period and I just pulled the plug on thinking. I made a decision to stop thinking, had to stop thinking because it wasn't getting me anywhere. I can't say I went to the other side though. I tried not to feel either. :lol: I guess when the stress first hit, I became more emotional, but I shut that off as fast as I could. Basically, I shut off both sides and just hid out and scrubbed grout tile until the situation passed. :001_huh:

Thank goodness the situation resolved itself happily or else I might forever be an IN_J. :lol:

I'm INTJ, too, & I drive my F dh nuts because I can quickly & coldly make huge life decisions--marrying him, for ex. Then, once the decision's made, I start to *feel* it & panic until that part of me is happy w/ the decision, too, or until I begin rethinking it.

Basically, it means I'm a roller coaster after the decision's made. I snap at him to hurry up & decide, he slowly plods toward certainty (very slowly), & once he's there, I plummet into a dark hole that makes us both question everything.

Glad your issue resolved itself!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm INTJ, too, & I drive my F dh nuts because I can quickly & coldly make huge life decisions--marrying him, for ex. Then, once the decision's made, I start to *feel* it & panic until that part of me is happy w/ the decision, too, or until I begin rethinking it.

Basically, it means I'm a roller coaster after the decision's made. I snap at him to hurry up & decide, he slowly plods toward certainty (very slowly), & once he's there, I plummet into a dark hole that makes us both question everything.

Glad your issue resolved itself!

Thanks! Me too. :001_smile:

I really think I'm 99% T because once I make a decision, I'm good. I think a long time before I act though. I don't think I have an impulsive bone in my body. When DH asked me to marry him, we had dated 4.5 years so I was all in, having known what my answer would be for...oh, let's say 4.4 years already. :lol:

I forget what my DH is. I should have him test again. Where is the online version?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I'm an INTJ and normally stress makes me rely more on my planning and thinking tendencies to the point I can overanalyze/overthink things. I don't get emotional but I do get controlling, focused and dh says I micromanage. ;)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm an INTJ and normally stress makes me rely more on my planning and thinking tendencies to the point I can overanalyze/overthink things. I don't get emotional but I do get controlling, focused and dh says I micromanage. ;)

:iagree: You know, I shut down with MAJOR stress but for slight to moderate stress, I would say this is true.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Yeah, slight to moderate, I simply organize & make lists. Move to Malaysia? I'm a nut. :lol:

...and the more I think about it the more I think the real reason I shut down was not even that the stress was so large. I think the real reason I shut down is that I had absolutely zero control over the situation...couldn't affect it one way or another with thinking, planning, organizing, pro/con lists, etc. (all my go-to solutions :lol:). In a major stress, wait and see situation, what does a thinker have left? I went with tile grout. :lol:

Aubrey,

I'm an E/I STJ, b/c my scores on E/I are very close. I'm very outgoing and can talk to almost anyone, but my batteries get recharged with family/quiet time, not at a party. So, when I'm stressed, I get more *I*, and much less E.

I haven't noticed a real change in the others when I'm stressed. I tend to be *more* S, T and J. Stress? Bring on the lists of pros and cons, so I can make a dadgummed decision! ;-)

Lisa