Menu

Recognizing strengths without lableing

My two middle boys are close in age (about 18 months apart) and tend to be "the boys". But lately they have really started to get some interests not only seperately, but quite in depth.

For instance, the older has become quite facinated with First Aid. He has created quite a First Aid Kit, and is often the one I send other kids or even myself to when we need help. "What are you supposed to do about a splinter?"

When my brother and I were growing up (also very close in age about 11 months apart), he was good at math and I was good at reading. As I have gotten older I have realized I love math, I mean I got through Calc 2 in high school. Of course my brother is a real whiz at math, the fractions and decimals he can work in his head are amazing. But I still really like math.

How do you make sure that no one feels that they aren't as capable of a skill as their brother? Do you not worry about it?

I think it is fine to recognize interests (which usually correlate with our strengths btw). I think we naturally find that we sort jobs in our family by our interests/strengths. Ds10 is our tech.support. Dd6 is our social director. But that doesn't mean that I might not ask Ds10 to give me some ideas for his birthday party etc.

I think where it comes into play is where you referred to labels. There are families where they actually come out and say, "Oh, s/he's the smart one. S/he's the beautiful/handsome one. S/he's the jock of the family." Even if you've been labeled something "nice" - no one wants to be seen one-dimensionally. So - the moral of that story is call you dc by their names - not by labels!

I think this is a tough line to walk. I LOVE seeing my kids really interested in something and I want to enjoy that and encourage them, but I don't want to pigeon hole them either.

I am also an "analyzer." When they start to show an interest in things I think a lot about what that "means." They love coloring....will they be super artistic, or is it just a phase?

Also, my parents never gave us accolades for anything except "being good," so I try to be quick to compliment them.

This doesn't answer your question, but I understand where you are coming from. :)