Menu

How do you prepare for homeschool conference?

I usually go with my mom....but my husband was able to join us this year. We have to drive nearly 3 hours to get to our convention, so we make it a little weekend vacation and stay a few nights since it is usually at a really nice hotel and convention center.

As for preparing? I just bring lots of money LOL....oh, and a rolling cart.

And yes, our kids join us as well.

Edited by ChristusG
added something

Get in the car and GO!!!!!

Seriously, look over the schedule and make a decision on which sessions I want to attend. Make a list of products I want to look at in the vender's hall. Let the hive know what conference I am going to and see if anyone else will be there!!!:001_smile: I've gone with kids and without. I've gone with husband and without. This year, I am going with a friend. I am going more to support my friend than for myself. I am going to spend alot of the time planning my upcoming school year.

Edited by missmoe

I usually go with my mom....but my husband was able to join us this year. We have to drive nearly 3 hours to get to our convention, so we make it a little weekend vacation and stay a few nights since it is usually at a really nice hotel and convention center.

As for preparing? I just bring lots of money LOL....oh, and a rolling cart.

And yes, our kids join us as well.

I have my rolling cart and good sneakers.:lol: My first time I went without a list and bought way to much.

I have only been to two, so I don't have a lot of experience. Last year, I was still in the process of actually deciding to take the plunge in to homeschooling. DH went with me and we just walked around very quickly since we went very late on the last day. Not much planning there.

This year, I had already made quite a few preliminary decisions about curriculum. I made a list of what curriculum I was considering, what the retail cost was and if I knew of any place that sold it at a discounted price. That allowed me to use the money I had set aside for the conference wisely. I didn't want to buy something only to get home and find I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere. Also, my list served as a reminder to check out certain books in person. One I thought I would really like became a "no" after seeing it at convention. No shipping charge is a nice benefit of buying/ordering at conferences, so if there is any materials you need that you will probably not find at a discounted price elsewhere, just saving on shipping can help.

I would also recommend reading the website for the conference. The one I attend does not allow rolling carts or strollers on the exhibitor floor. I took a large shoulder tote instead and just put my wallet in that (no purse). Take a bottle of water and wear comfortable shoes!

I was going to add that after this year, I am hoping to allow a small budget for each child to choose a project or something when we go next year. There were several neat ideas and project kits, but I was limited to buying what we 'needed' and really couldn't splurge on 'wants' this year. Hopefully next year I will remember to plan for some 'wants'.

I have only been to two, so I don't have a lot of experience. Last year, I was still in the process of actually deciding to take the plunge in to homeschooling. DH went with me and we just walked around very quickly since we went very late on the last day. Not much planning there.

This year, I had already made quite a few preliminary decisions about curriculum. I made a list of what curriculum I was considering, what the retail cost was and if I knew of any place that sold it at a discounted price. That allowed me to use the money I had set aside for the conference wisely. I didn't want to buy something only to get home and find I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere. Also, my list served as a reminder to check out certain books in person. One I thought I would really like became a "no" after seeing it at convention. No shipping charge is a nice benefit of buying/ordering at conferences, so if there is any materials you need that you will probably not find at a discounted price elsewhere, just saving on shipping can help.

I would also recommend reading the website for the conference. The one I attend does not allow rolling carts or strollers on the exhibitor floor. I took a large shoulder tote instead and just put my wallet in that (no purse). Take a bottle of water and wear comfortable shoes!

Thanks for the reminder about the bottle water. Also a fully charged cell phone. I am really looking forward to the used curriculum sale.