Menu

Strong in math, loves geography how would you teach?

My son LOVES math and geography. It's likely he'll enter those fields in some way. Any thoughts on how you approach this would be awesome. The local CC is wonderful and plan on entering him there for math and lab classes starting in 10th and 11th grade. He's currently entering Alg.2 using Chalkdust. He is a kid I could double maths and he'd be happy, IF I dropped something else :)

So, in addition to your thoughts on approach, what typical areas of classical study would you drop or reduce as a result. I'd really appreciate your thoughts. I feel like I must be careful Not to let history rule his world, but I'm still unsure of how to implement excellence in education, serve his love, and not drown him in academics, academics, academics.

I'm starting to feel some willies again! I don't want to fail my sweet boy.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Our high school curriculum covers history chronologically over 4 years and geography is part of every year. Every year the student earns 1/2 credit for geography and also earns credits for cartography from the mapping. When my children graduate high school they will have the following credits for geography:

.5 Ancient World Geography

.5 Classical & Medieval Geography

.5 European Geography

.5 US Geography

He can also earn credits for cartography (I think .5 credits per year) if he wants (I only award them if he puts out extra effort with his mapping).

I use TRISMS but you could duplicate the approach with any history curriculum, incorporating it in all history courses instead of a separate course. TRISMS is a history unit study so it includes humanities/geography/economics/goegraphy/literature/philosophy/rhetoric/church history/etc. Some things are covered every year but others are covered in only some years. Geography and cartography are covered every year.

Sorry, I can only (maybe) help with the history.

At the very least, I'd make sure he goes through a good statistics course and a CAD course, plus GIS if it's available. I'd want to make sure he's got sufficient quality math and science to enter an engineering program if he decides to to that way (environmental engineering, traffic engineering, etc.) Maybe adapt (pre)/history to mesh with a survey of cultural anthropology and geography. You could also plan history unit studies around Guns, Germs and Steel.

At the very least, I'd make sure he goes through a good statistics course and a CAD course, plus GIS if it's available. I'd want to make sure he's got sufficient quality math and science to enter an engineering program if he decides to to that way (environmental engineering, traffic engineering, etc.) Maybe adapt (pre)/history to mesh with a survey of cultural anthropology and geography. You could also plan history unit studies around Guns, Germs and Steel.

:iagree:

My son is doing a human geography course this year to prepare for the AP test in the subject. As I was putting together the course plan, I ran across some project ideas using data from the last census. I don't know when the new census data will be available, but possibly he would enjoy doing some sort of census project that would tie his math interests to his geography interests. Also the textbook Human Georgraphy in Action might be a good resource for geography based activities that require analytical thinking.

:iagree:

My son is doing a human geography course this year to prepare for the AP test in the subject. As I was putting together the course plan, I ran across some project ideas using data from the last census. I don't know when the new census data will be available, but possibly he would enjoy doing some sort of census project that would tie his math interests to his geography interests. Also the textbook Human Georgraphy in Action might be a good resource for geography based activities that require analytical thinking.

Any suggestions on good materials to use for CAD and GIS courses?

How early do you think he could do a statistics class? I.e. what are pre-reqs for statistics?

Any suggestions on good materials to use for CAD and GIS courses?
Start with your community college.

How early do you think he could do a statistics class? I.e. what are pre-reqs for statistics?
The big problem with stats is that it's rarely taught well in college -- especially outside math departments -- so it's a good idea to have previous exposure. Introductory stats is doable after Algebra I; however, I'd be inclined to do it after Algebra II for no other reason than it might seem less intimidating. The Cartoon Guide to Statistics is an amusing introduction. I also like LoF: Statistics because it's geared towards endusers and has application in mind from Page 1.

Start with your community college.

The big problem with stats is that it's rarely taught well in college -- especially outside math departments -- so it's a good idea to have previous exposure. Introductory stats is doable after Algebra I; however, I'd be inclined to do it after Algebra II for no other reason than it might seem less intimidating. The Cartoon Guide to Statistics is an amusing introduction. I also like LoF: Statistics because it's geared towards endusers and has application in mind from Page 1.

Thank you so much. We are heading toward CC more and more, beginning next year (10th grade)...bittersweet!

That fits well into your stats suggestions. He'll finish Alg 2 this year, I can squeeze in stats w/ Fred. We all love Fred, even the dc who don't use him hear all about him!