Menu

Has anyone used Invitation to the Classics for high school literature?

I was browsing through this book recently, and I wondered about using it for high school literature. Could we go through the book, reading each chapter, then reading about 12 of the works each school year? I thought we could then study the book a la WTM. Just wondering if anyone has used the book before.

Wendi

I'm not sure how you could really use the book, itself, for a hs class. Of course you could pick, say 12 works, out of the book then study those. But I just didn't think that this book offered enough of a study guide to go in depth with the great works. But it is a great book!

jeri

I think it look like a wonderful resource for high school.

I bought it to read through after seeing it recommended in WTM and TQ. I will use it as a spine to organize our chronological Great Books study in high school. I plan on also purchasing additional suggested books to with each chapter's Great Book subject. I like the questions for further thought in each chapter - they would make great essay subjects.

I'm planning on using Abeka Lit w/ grammar/comp also - but Abeka uses excerpts of great books in their texts, and we want to correlate a list of "whole" Great books each year also.