Menu

Cursive for my ds who is an Aspie?

His printing isn't very good. Well, it's ok if he only writes a little bit. He would like to try cursive this year (2nd grade). I'm looking at HWT for cursive, but am not sure. Is there something that might work better for a right brained learner who is also Visual Spatial and Aspie to boot? Oh yes, he doesn't like the physical act of writing either. From what I've read, I think he my have dysgraphia also. What do you think might work best?

My DS9, PDD kiddo with possible dysgraphia, VS learner, (sounding familiar?)that hates writing, does HWOT and is coming along quite nicely. He does a couple of pages a day without difficulty and I'm thrilled that it is legible. He feels good about it as well, which is a plus.

My DS9, PDD kiddo with possible dysgraphia, VS learner, (sounding familiar?)that hates writing, does HWOT and is coming along quite nicely. He does a couple of pages a day without difficulty and I'm thrilled that it is legible. He feels good about it as well, which is a plus.

Hmmm...yes, very familiar, lol! Is a couple pages per day a lot with HWT? Do you follow the TM? Thanks!

My daughter, an Aspie who had severe dysgraphia as a young child and still has residual fine motor difficulties, begged for HWOT cursive and loved it. Her cursive is actually quite readable, more so than her printing.

Check out the Getty Dubay italic program.

http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/italic-handwriting-series.php

Why Italic Handwriting?

In short, italic handwriting is:

• Legible. Italic letterforms are uncluttered (no loops!), even when written rapidly.
  • Logical. The transition from printing to cursive is straightforward and intuitive. Letter shapes remain the same from basic italic to cursive italic, eliminating the abrupt leap from "ball and stick" to looped cursive seen in other programs.
  • Easy to Write. The elliptical shapes and strokes of italic conform to natural, rhythmic hand movements. The letters are formed easily and quickly.
  • Easy to Teach. The Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting Series provides a clear, concise, step-by-step approach with opportunity for lots of practice.

I began with just one page a day and then after a month went to two. We were just getting started homeschooling at the time and my DS9 is a bit older. The TM contains ideas for correction. 'If your child is doing this, do this'. It was helpful for positioning, pressure, loops that are off etc. My TM had 2 years in one book. I didn't use it a whole lot but then again I picked it up for $3, so it was worth it to me. Also, it had word suggestions for mastery areas, which you could come up with on your own, but sometimes it was nice to have it done for you. Good luck!