Menu

AAS vs. SWO vs. SP vs. other

Aoife

I already have AAS which I am using to remediate my 9yo DSD but also have a copy of SWO A on my self. :tongue_smilie: I am wondering this more for DS1 and for the scope of things in general.

We are using AAS with DSD because she never really was taught phonics and is having a rough time with spelling. However we do/have done/will be doing a TON of phonics instruction with all 3 DSs. We use a variety of OPGTR, SSRW and lots of phonetic readers. Will it be too much to then go into AAS with kids who have a strong foundation in phonics. DS1 already knows most of what is in level 1 of AAS so far. Would SWO be a better fit for them or something else entirely. I want them to be able to easily grasp and learn the rules and mechanics of spelling but I don't want to bore them silly or bog them down either. I briefly looked into SP but saw it doesn't start until 3rd grade and kinda of didn't look much more into it then that but I have heard it mentioned many times as a good program as well.

AAS has been great for my dd, because she has a lot of trouble with spelling. That said, despite having the materials, we'll be using SWO with ds, at least as long as he shows no signs of issues with spelling. We *are* going to use the key cards from AAS, though.

If your other kids are not struggling with spelling and you would rather have them do a more independent spelling program, I'd try it. If it doesn't work out, you could come back to AAS.

As for things they already know--you don't have to make them do all of AAS 1 if they know it. You can teach the concepts they don't know (like maybe the extra sounds for some letters/phonograms, or C vs. K etc...), have them demonstrate and teach it back to you on a few words, and move on. They don't need to spend time spelling words they already know how to spell or doing super easy dictations. I'd fast track them through until you hit things they are not very familiar with, and then spend more time on those lessons.

HTH! Merry :-)