Menu

Writing advice for beginning 1st grader

Hi,

I afterschool my kid and my son goes to a PS but I feel that they lay more emphasis on grammar and less on writing (compared to public schools out here in WA state). He will be beginning First Grade and they will be doing Spectrum writing 2 (that is their school work). They did Spectrum writing Grade 1 in Kindergarten.

I am wondering if you think this is adequate. If I do want to supplement, is writing with ease the right thing to do? Also do I need the text book or will WWE workbook alone do? Wondering what you do with the reading lists given? Do you need to get them as well. Is WWE 1st grade the right place to begin or WWE 2nd grade?

Thanks to all for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

In our school district (also in Wa state), there is very little, if any, grammar taught at all - maybe basic parts of speech, but no diagramming. First graders are expected to be completing original reports when many of them can hardly write their names. It's a recipe for kids who hate writing.

I treasure the knowledge First Language Lessons has given my kids (grammar), and the skills in WWE are truely essential and won't be taught in ps as kids are simply plunged head first into original writing. I often find the ps method gets in the way of WWE's more gentle method, causing dd to want to write rambling novels rather than 2-3 sentence summaries. But that's a necessary skill, too.

I agree, use WWE and start at level 1.