Menu

ISO:art appreciation (only- no crafts or drawing)

trisharog

DD8 will be taking drawing and painting from a friend and we will be doing crafts in TOG 1. I am looking for an easy open and go book that we can learn about the artists and their styles. There was one book that looked interesting(cant remember name) but it was black and white and didnt have examples of the artists work. Surely what I am looking for exists somewhere.

Thanks for any feedback.

Trisha

trisharog@netscape.net

DD8 will be taking drawing and painting from a friend and we will be doing crafts in TOG 1. I am looking for an easy open and go book that we can learn about the artists and their styles. There was one book that looked interesting(cant remember name) but it was black and white and didnt have examples of the artists work. Surely what I am looking for exists somewhere.

Thanks for any feedback.

Trisha

trisharog@netscape.net

I'm planning on adding art and music this year as a scheduled part of our day.

Barb at Harmony Art Mom has a lot of info about Charlote Mason style art and music appreciation. I've also used the scheduled artist links at Ambleside Online to pare down the world of art into something manageable.

My plan for this year is that we will follow a model of looking at an artwork and then notebook about it.

You might also check out Discovering Great Artists. It is a kids' book that gives short info about an artist and then has a project that highlights a technique or subject focus of the artist.

I have been doing a lot of research on art appreciation and have found several books. The one I like the most is a series called Come Look with Me

Come Look With Me: Exploring Landscape Art With Children (Come Look With Me Series) [Hardcover]

Gladys S. Blizzard (Author)

Trisha

i really like the come look with me series .... plus, we've enjoyed the series that are "camille and the sunflowers" etc .... there are quite a few of them out there and we've enjoyed every one that we've read.

i have a come look with me FS on the sale and swap board.

I also just read all of the picture books I can get my hands on concerning artists and composers.

Here are books, for example, that we read last year for our Van Gogh study:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1396098/van-gogh-pdf-september-20-2009-7-35-am-62k?da=y

I think I found a couple more after I made that sheet.

This year, we will study four artists that coincide with our history studies:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1988574/baroque-art-study-resources-pdf-june-17-2010-5-29-pm-148k?da=y

Last year, we also studied Renaissance artists because that coincided with our hsitory studies:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1553873/ren-artists-pdf-november-20-2009-9-24-am-39k?da=y

Again, I have used more resources as I have found them, but I haven't updated my lists. That's one of my to-do items this summer.

Oh, I just found the resources we used for Monet:

Katie Meets the Impressionists

The Magical Garden of Claude Monet

Monet -- Getting to Know the World's Artists

A Picnic with Monet

Linnea in Monet's Garden: video

A Blue Butterfly: A Story about Claude Monet

Claude Monet: Sunshine and Waterlillies

A Walk in Monet's Garden

Monet postcards, calendar and bookmarks

Painted Tales – Volume 1 (Umesh Shukla): video

Each imaginative tale stars a painter set within some of their most recognizable masterpieces. "In winter still" tells the story of Claude Monet and his enchanted garden at Giverny. When children are banned from playing in the garden, only a remarkable little boy can warm life back into Monet's garden paradise.

My plan for this year is that we will follow a model of looking at an artwork and then notebook about it.

You might also check out Discovering Great Artists. It is a kids' book that gives short info about an artist and then has a project that highlights a technique or subject focus of the artist.

This sounds manageable to me, but can you go into more detail about "notebooking", please? I can't imagine trying to squeeze anything else into our day but art appreciation is very important to me. We visit our Art Institute regularly but I want to do more at home. Perhaps twice a week discussing an artist during lunch and the third day writing about the artist? Any more thoughts about this?

I don't mean to take this post down a different path...sorry! I'm enjoying reading through the resources you're all listing...thanks! Any more?

Pam

This sounds manageable to me, but can you go into more detail about "notebooking", please? I can't imagine trying to squeeze anything else into our day but art appreciation is very important to me. We visit our Art Institute regularly but I want to do more at home. Perhaps twice a week discussing an artist during lunch and the third day writing about the artist? Any more thoughts about this?

I don't mean to take this post down a different path...sorry! I'm enjoying reading through the resources you're all listing...thanks! Any more?

Pam

Well, it has taken me a while to come up with something that I think is sustainable. My goals are for my kids to recognize major works at least within the correct century and general movement and to have a good chance at knowing the artist. I don't care if they know the artist's bio, but if they do, then that is nice too.

When they were little we spent a lot of time in art museums. But that was in Europe and since then we've been less good about it.

So my plan for next year is to have one work per week. Day 1: They spend some time looking at it. Day 2: They have to look at the work, then describe it after it is take away. Day 3: Write about the picture. Maybe a narrative about the technique. Maybe about the actual content of the painting. Maybe about the story that they think it is showing.

I'd like to get to the point where we are also sketching our own version of the work, but we'll see.

I really like Barb's directions for picture study and this is what I'm copying for our use.