Menu

ALEKS..can anyone tell me more

Mom2GirlsTX

I keep seeing people here that mention ALEKS for math, so I did a google search. It looks very interesting. To those of you who have used it, what are your thoughts? I'm considering it for my dd who is 10..currently doing Singapore and some MUS. Pros? Cons? Opinions?

I keep seeing people here that mention ALEKS for math, so I did a google search. It looks very interesting. To those of you who have used it, what are your thoughts? I'm considering it for my dd who is 10..currently doing Singapore and some MUS. Pros? Cons? Opinions?

Are you thinking of using it instead of those or alongside those programs? You have two good programs going and I think that Aleks is better for review or gap filling. I do think it is good, but it doesn't have a lot of mathematical problem solving. It more teaches methods. The teaching isn't great unless a kid gets math already.

We use it to supplement A Beka. I find that often Aleks has already introduced a subject that my son is learning about in A Beka. This has made teaching math much easier for me. He occasionally doesn't understand the explanations on Aleks, but gets most of it. I help him when needed, for clarification. I wouldn't use Aleks alone, but it is part of our monthly budget for supplementing. I only regret that I don't use it more than I do, to get more of my money's worth out of it.

I'm currently using it as a stand alone (last 2 months of school) for my 13yo dd. First month was great, as it was mostly review. This month, not so good -- I have to sit and look at the explanation and go over it step by step w/ her. Then she does the problems (with me sitting there). The usual weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The good things about ALEKS are the instant feed back (either it is right or or you re-solve it), lets you see your time spent and progress, always reviewing/learning new things...

I won't be using it as her math program after this month. But maybe during a winter break or next summer I will, for a review/refresher. I've also heard good things about time4learning.com, but haven't gotten around to looking at their sample lessons.