Menu

Quick - prep. ideas for (whole?) fish - Help!!

It's sort of a long story, but I was "blessed" this afternoon by 2 or 3 fish halves. The heads are still on and I really don't know if the guts have been removed. No idea what type, just know they came from a Chinese market near a friend's house. Probably were previously frozen.

I have so little experience with fish that it's not funny. I've tried really hard to broaden out - we've had fish for Easter the last couple years - but I've only worked with the prepared stuff from the seafood counter in the grocery store. (Dh and dd6 love seafood or I probably wouldn't even try.)

Should I try to do anything with it? (What I actually mean is should dh try to do anything with it? He'd get the dirty job this time. I'd rather wash cloth nappies any day. :)) What? How do you clean a fish that's previously frozen? What about bones?

I'll run into the same person in church tomorrow. Of course, due to our language barrier, I could probably "not understand" if she asks me what I did with it, but I hate deception . . . and if it's possible to salvage it, I know dh would love fish for Father's Day. It's not like we can afford to buy it this month . . .

Any advice?

Mama Anna

What do you mean by fish halves? Is it just one side of the fish skin but sliced down the center of the fish? If you're not sure if it has been gutted, I'm having a hard time imagining the fish (esp. with a head) not being whole.

Here's what I do. You could chop off the head with a sharp cleaver. If you are squeamish about eyes "looking" at you, that's what I'd do. Then I would take the blade of a knife and run it against the "grain" of the fish - ie. from the tail up toward the head. If there are any scales left on the fish, they will be pushed up by the blade of the knife and will fall off into your sink. (I'd do this over the sink, btw).

Then - if it is whole, I would take a knife and slit it down it's stomach, cutting it in half lengthwise. If there are bones in there the skeleton of the fish will be there. It is usually pretty easy to lift up the bones bringing almost all the bones with it.

Actually cooking it is easy. Get a grill pan or broiler pan. Oil it or put aluminum foil on it for easy clean up. Baste the fish with some olive oil. Sprinkle some garlic salt or powdered garlic on it. Broil the fish until it is flakey (about 15 min? - it depends on the thickness of the fish).

Bless you, Jean!

Okay, I just looked at it again. (I can't believe I'm this squeamish about fish! I've helped butcher farm animals, for crying out loud!) I think they have been gutted because there's a slit in the belly of each half. But otherwise it looks like someone laid a 10 inch fish on a cutting board and whacked it in half with a cleaver. Maybe for more compact storage or something?

So, I scale it, then I cut it in half. (I remember watching someone do this once.) Is that where I try to run the knife along one side of the skeleton in order to fillet it? So I'm trying to avoid the skeleton instead of cutting it in half right near the back bone like with a chicken?

Mama Anna

ETA: I figure I'll end up doing it because it is Father's Day, after all. Besides, I'm beginning to see my squeamishness as a personal challenge! :)

Well, I did it. The 2 tail halves were much easier than the head half - it seemed to have a set of bones that went from the main ribs out to the skin halfway up the side. I hope I got them all out on both pieces. I made hash out of the first 4 or 5 quarters, but by the time I got to the sixth it was getting better. Just . . . yech! I'm not sure I agree with you about being better than deboning a chicken! :001_smile:

Now, will these keep in the fridge 'til tomorrow's lunch? I did them tonight because we always get home from church late and lunch has to be ready to go.

I sure hope dh appreciates this! :D

Mama Anna

Well, I did it. The 2 tail halves were much easier than the head half - it seemed to have a set of bones that went from the main ribs out to the skin halfway up the side. I hope I got them all out on both pieces. I made hash out of the first 4 or 5 quarters, but by the time I got to the sixth it was getting better. Just . . . yech! I'm not sure I agree with you about being better than deboning a chicken! :001_smile:

Now, will these keep in the fridge 'til tomorrow's lunch? I did them tonight because we always get home from church late and lunch has to be ready to go.

I sure hope dh appreciates this! :D

Mama Anna

Yes they will keep in the fridge. And I'm sure your dh will appreciate it.:001_wub: