Menu

learning the rules of football, this got long

is there a pc, ds, or wii game which will help you master the rules of football.

My high school (finishing grade 10) ds, has been asked to go out for football. He is 5'11", broad shouldered, muscular and a bit overweight. 3 different PE teachers approached him different times last week. He has been asked off and on over his freshman and sophomore years. They want him to play linebacker.

Obviously, he has never played this sport. He has not played a team sport since 2d grade (soccer). I have always required him to be in a physical activity. I started requiring that because his motor development was severely delayed. In general, he was always the slowest, most uncoordinated kid on the playground when he was little. This year to satisfy my fitness activity he did kendo (Japanese swordmanship) and saw a personal trainer.

I don't see football as a great fit for my ds. He is not quick, he does not have good endurance, and his reaction time is really nonexistent. I think the PE teachers just picked him out because of his physical size, thinking they could make something out of it. He participates in Model UN, chess club, likes political banter, in other words, he's far from a model of an athlete.

Anyway, ds has announced that he's going to try. So, I guess he will see the PE teachers today, hopefully they will give him a fitness plan. But he needs to learn the game, both academically and physically.